Itunes picks up wrong ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by yauami, Apr 20, 2007.

1. yauami macrumors newbie

Please help me. I'm going crazy.

My ipod's name is my name. But as of yesterday, I plug it into itunes and it comes up as someone else's name. I'm at work and it seems it's the name of someone else in our office. But he hasn't brought his email into work for months.

The problem is, this other persons ipod is set to auto sync and tries to wipe my ipod.

Other weird things - when it comes up as this other person's ipod, before it has a chance to wipe my existing ipod, I took a quick screen shot and the serial numbers match.

My ipod works fine on other computers. Other ipods work fine on my computer.

I have wiped every system files off my computer and reinstalled itunes to no avail.

Does anyone have anything that can help me??

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of computer is it? Is it running Windows or OSX?

3. yauami thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Indeed.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Windoze?

Sorry. Don't know how to help you. Call Dell or whoever you call from the Other Side.

6. yauami thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's my work computer. Works fine on my mac at home.

7. triobot macrumors member

triobot

Set the ipod to manual management of music (or equivilant) Then it won't auto sync...

If it detects wrong ipod, so what??? who cares??? its just a name... As long as it works who care??

XD

8. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Try "restoring the iPod" if you don't mind losing all your files on it.

9. yauami thread starter macrumors newbie

This ipod shows up with no music and is set to automatically sync to my computer at work, not at home where I keep my music.

Restoring doesn't help?

I give up.

Thank you everyone.

10. Howard Brazee macrumors 6502

Howard Brazee

I'd be almost tempted to let it try to sync once - as long as you have a reliable source elsewhere.

I've read that at one time there was a Mac program that could trace down where that other computer is. But I haven't heard of a Windows program to do so.

Another possibility is to uninstall iTunes at work and reinstall it. If you go this route, first deauthorize it.

My trouble with this is that at work, I usually cannot install new programs. Sometimes I can cheat an upgrade by copying the upgraded directory from a computer which I could upgrade. Upgrade programs should endeavor to skip updating the registry if they can avoid it. (Heck, all programs should do this).