iTunes playback issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cuestakid, Aug 21, 2016.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have a Mac Mini runing 10.11.4, latest versions of iTunes and also the server app. There is an external HD attached that houses all my Movies/TV Shows. Because it is serving data to my 4th Gen Apple TV, itunes is always open. However I have been noticing some strange behavior. When I have remoted into the machine I am noticing that iTunes is actually playing media back on the machine itself. I have muted the machine so I am not hearing it in the background, but I cannot figure out what is causing the media to play. The only thing I can think of is my Logitech Universal remote, but it is not paired with the Mac Mini. I am not using the Apple remote app,nor is there any remote paired with iTunes

Does anyone have an idea as to what is causing this?

2. tjwilliams25, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Is your Mac in the vicinity of your remote? If so, it's possible that it is making iTunes play without being paired as the Apple TV remote IR code is the same as the Mac. You can alleviate this by turning off the IR receiver in the Security tab in System Preferences. I had the same issue with an iPod dock and my Mac way back in the day.

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. I tired to just cover it up but that didnt work. I thought I had turned off the sensor as well but I did not apparently. Doing that appears to have solved it.

Thanks!