ITunes Playlist Burning for Backup

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by plaidhippo, Dec 6, 2007.

1. plaidhippo macrumors member

Hello,
    I purchased an ipod nano as a gift for my mother-in-law for christmas. I plan to preload it with photos, a video, and music.

Eventually, she will be hooking it up to her own home computer, but I know when she syncs it there, everything we gave her will be erased! So, I want to create a backup dvd or two where I can put all of the music I'm giving to her on the pod as files she can import into her own itunes library. I know itunes has a backup-to-disc option but it doesn't seem to be possible for a single playlist. Can anyone tell me exactly what I need to do to just create a data disc with all of the music files from a specific playlist? I'm not quite sure how to do this!

FYI, I'm using Tiger on an MBP with the latest version of iTunes.

Thanks to all!
    Ashish

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

That's how I would do it (maybe there are easier solutions):

In the Finder, I create a new folder "Xmas" and keep it open.

Inside iTunes, I choose the playlist, then I press CMD-A to select all the songs in it. Then I click on one of the songs and without releasing the mouse I move the songs a little bit. A red circle with the number of songs and a little green +-sign should appear.

With CMD-Tab, I change the application to the Finder. By moving the mouse to the Xmas-folder window, the +-sign should still be there (important!) and by releasing the mouse, the songs should copy over to this folder.

If there's no +-sign, press CMD to get one or use ESC to abort.

Then you can add photos and other stuff and burn the folder to data CD or DVD with the finder.

Edit: Balamw's solution is easier indeed. But you can't put photos on the same disc.

4. plaidhippo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!

Awesome, I knew someone would know how! Thanks to both posters! :D