iTunes Playlist Order

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ks-man, Aug 19, 2010.

1. ks-man macrumors 6502a

Google is failing me. Is there a way to change the order of the playlists in iTunes (or on my iPod)? Currently everything is Alphabetical and I don't want to have to change the names of the playlists to make it work.

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

[​IMG]

Where you see the headers 'Name', 'Time', 'Artist', 'Album', etc, click on whichever one of those you would like it to be sorted by. In that screenshot, Name is highlighted and you can see it is organising it in Alphabetical name order. Click it again to change from ascending order to descending order, and vice versa. Go to View>View Options to choose other headers you might want to organise it by.

3. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is how you change the order of Songs within a playlist. I'm talking about the order that the Playlist themselves are displayed.

4. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Ahhh, gotcha. Nope, don't know if there's a way you can switch that up. Sorry!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can arrange playlists in folders and you can rename playlists so they sort in the desired order. There is no sort function on the sidebar where the playlists are displayed.

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

As true as this is...

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I read that. I also understand that using folders and renaming playlists are the only two options available to the OP, whether they want to use them or not.

8. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Seem like such a simple thing to give users the option. Why would Apple force playlists to be sorted alphabetically? I know Apple likes closed systems, but really....

9. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Maybe a compromise is in order. I have certain playlists that I like to show up at the beginning of certain folders. Instead of changing the name, I add numbers to the beginning of the name. Here's an example:

1 Pop-Rock Mix
    2 Pop-Rock-Country Mix
    3 Jazz-New Age Mix
    4 Classical Mix
    Country
    Classical
    Folk
    Irish
    Jazz
    Pop
    Rock

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's still changing the name.

11. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

mchalebk
    probably knows that. He was probably just pointing out to the OP another way of renaming without using the alphabet, as numbers might seem easier to use.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

ks-man probably knows how to rename using numbers, letters and special characters. Renaming is still renaming. The point is, there are still only two options: use folders or rename the playlists (regardless of how you rename them.)

13. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

Note that I started my previous post with "Maybe a compromise is in order".

I would bet that a lot of people never think to use numbers in a naming scheme (have no idea about the OP). Adding numbers to the beginning allows you to retain (basically) the same name, but also to place certain high priority playlists at the top and in the order you want.

I'll bet that someone (maybe not the OP, but someone) reads my post and says "hey, I never thought about that".

Yes, it is changing the name. But it's only "kind of" changing the name.

14. ks-man thread starter macrumors 6502a

While it is a good suggestion, the issue is that I need to do it in iTunes with the numbers and then the playlists would look weird on different iPods. For example, the playlists on one iPod would be:

assuming that iPod didn't include playlists 1,3,4,6 and 8. Oh well, hopefully Apple will change it in the future (I'm not holding my breath).

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I would reply, but I think we're just going in circles now :p Well played sir, 'twas fun :D