iTunes playlist (XML to M3U)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Mar 13, 2008.

1. giyad macrumors regular

Ive posted about this before and haven't gotten a response, its probably because there isn't a solution out there, but just incase I figured I'd post again.

So, iTunes exports its playlists into XML, Unicode, or Plain Text. I want to take a playlist that I created in iTunes and make it playable in VLC. VLC only reads M3U. So, how do i convert an XML playlist into an M3U?? Or is there some other way to go about putting my iTunes playlist in VLC?

I need to do this because iTunes doesn't use the systems volume to its full potential, while VLC does.

2. zozus macrumors newbie

XML to M3U...

Hello Giyad,

It looks like no one responded to your post. I myself have had the same difficulty- and found your original request. I do indeed know of programs that will translate ITune playlists into m3u playlists. I needed to find this for my LG music phone. In any event, both are free programs. The more comprehensive- and slower, is called SyncTunes 2.0.rv2. It can be found at version tracker- using the url: <http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/27677>. This program will not only create a m3u playlist from your Itunes playlist- but will also translate your files into mp3 & acc files- and to different quality ranges- say from 256 kbps to 128 kbps. Very useful for me, since I have both MP3'S and acc files in my Itunes Library at highest quality- and needed them converted to less high quality recordings to my phone (a poor man's iphone :) Another, quicker method is to install the Itunes script- Export iTunes Playlist to M3U. Do not be fooled by the complicated instructions. If you simply install it into your Itunes script folder- restart Itunes- and then use the script menu item containing Export iTunes Playlist to M3U- it will simply dump an m3u file of the selected Itunes script into your documents folder. This Itunes script can be found at: <http://homepage.mac.com/beryrinaldo/AudioTron/Export_Playlist_to_M3U/> Sorry this response is so long in coming- I just came across you question today. Hopefully this will help someone- if not you. Bob

By the way, these solutions have been only found to work on Tiger with a ppc based computer- using Itunes 7. Not sure if they will work with other Mac configurations. Worth a shot- though.

3. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! never thought this would be answered haha!

4. zozus macrumors newbie

Itunes playlist (XML to M3U)

Dear Giyad,

You are welcome :) I'm just shocked that you waited so long for an answer- patient fellow- you!! Made my day. Hope you have a good one!!!

Bob

5. dberlind macrumors newbie

6. wynlyndd macrumors newbie

7. tapdood22 macrumors newbie

i am having trouble with the "export to m3u" script as well. the application won't even open when i try to launch it from finder. anyone have any ideas what is going on?

8. almo2001 macrumors newbie

You have to put those two files into /Library/iTunes/Scripts

Works fine for me with iTunes 9.something and os 10.5.8