iTunes playlists have vanished

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sukayser, Feb 21, 2011.

1. sukayser macrumors newbie

Hello:

My playlists have suddenly vanished from iTunes. I had just plugged in my iPod, and suddenly the sidebar rewrote itself without the playlists. (The iPod didn't show up, either.) The Library itself seems OK.

I've tried rebooting the iMac (27" i5 core running 10.6.6), but it didn't fix it. My last backup was a couple of weeks ago, and I don't think I've added or deleted any playlists since then, but I don't know how to restore the old playlists from a backup (it's a clone from SuperDuper!).

Please help!
    Susan K

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Wow, scary, but at least you are smart enough to have a backup!:D

So I would want to figure out why they vanished. Have you updated anything lately? What is weird is that it no longer sees your iPod.
    What kind of iPod? Did you jailbreak your iPod?

It seems like rebuilding your library might be your first step.

I found this after a quick search- not sure if it applies to your situation, but seems like it might. Rebuild iTunes library

If that doesn't work, backup would be your next step. I am unsure how to update just the playlist part in iTunes from your SuperDuper backup. However it seems you have more wrong than just your playlist with your iPod not syncing. I would think that just restoring everything to do with your iTunes library with your backup copy might be best as it sounds like something became corrupt. If you do this I would just move your current iMac iTunes folder to the desktop and keep it there while you copy your SuperDuper backup to your iMac. Then if all works well, delete the old iTunes folder from the desktop.

hopefully others can confirm or deny these as your possible steps.