Itunes Plus and DRM question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jreamsnyder, Mar 11, 2009.

1. jreamsnyder macrumors member

Let me see if I got this straight. If I have previously purchased music on itunes, I can convert it to a DRM free version for 30 cents, when available. But when I now buy a song on itunes that has the little plus sign by it for .99, it is also drm free, right? So essentially, I have to pay nothing extra for drm free music I buy from now on, but am being penalized by paying extra to convert my old songs, just because I purchased them earlier? Any info would be appreciated

2. jnolas2 macrumors member

That's basically it. I don't know if it's necessarily a penalty. You're paying 30 cents to get a higher quality DRM-free file. Since you are downloading a whole new file it is using bandwidth that Apple has to pay for.

3. vandlism macrumors 6502

I wouldn't exactly call it "penalized". That's like saying you were penalized for buying a computer befor Snow Leopard is released. You're paying for an upgrade to iTunes Plus. Yes it is DRM free but it is also a 256 kbps file as opposed to 128. It's all a matter of perspective my friend.

Pay to upgrade any iTunes track to iTunes Plus for 30-cents, and get any current iTunes plus track for 99-cents (until the new tiered pricing is released).

4. jreamsnyder thread starter macrumors member

good point, it's just kind of frusterating to have to pay to update old stuff that's offered free now, but I guess thats technology, huh?

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Blast! I forgot about that coming down the pipe... I wonder how that will affect me. I wonder if more of the stuff I buy would fall under the category of "library" songs and be cheaper... or if they'd be pricier. Oh well If they're any more than 99 cents, i'll just go take my business to amazon mp3. And if they're both more than 99 cents, well then... blast...

6. Kennedy macrumors member

I've only heard a little about this...how is the new tiered pricing going to work? I mean, that was the big appeal for iTunes in the first place - .99 for everything. And how do I buy Apple Lossless? Is that the DRM-free stuff? Damn Apple, going and confuddling me.

7. Jeonat macrumors regular

You can't buy songs from iTunes in Apple Lossless unfortunately, the maximum bitrate is iTunes Plus at 256kbps which the DRM free stuff.

Am not so sure about the tiered pricing too, but could be good for archive stuff because so many times I see CDs I want on Amazon, for example, which are old and about £3.00, but on iTunes they are £4.99, £5.99 or more. I know on Amazon you have to pay for shipping, but still... seems excessive considering distribution costs - i.e. bandwidth is cheap and I'm sure Apple have plenty of it.

8. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

FWIW, catalog CDs titles can be purchased these days for as little as $4.99, NEW.