iTunes Plus and restoring hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by puma1552, Apr 19, 2009.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I upgraded to iTunes Plus, which of course means I upgraded all the songs to DRM-free 256 kbps AAC along with it.

After having to restore my hard drive, I transferred my songs back into itunes from an iPod using Senuti, which worked flawlessly.

However, the iPod content was from before I upgraded to DRM-free iTunes plus music. This means that while my iTunes account has been upgraded to a DRM-free iTunes Plus account, the music being put back on to the computer from the ipod after the hard drive reset still has DRM on it, meaning I have to get the DRM free stuff again.

I thought I could just go to "Check for Downloads" and as my account is iTunes Plus, it would find those DRM songs and prompt me to redownload the new DRM free versions again, but it doesn't--iTunes doesn't show any available downloads, suggesting I'm stuck with my DRM music despite having iTunes Plus.

Ways around it short of repurchasing every single song at $1.29 each?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Contact iTunes Support.

3. puma1552 thread starter macrumors 601

I would, but surely they will tell me to get bent since I used Senuti.

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Don't tell them that part. Tell them that you had problems with your hard drive (which you did), resulting in you losing all your purchased music, and tell them that the only backups you had were for the old DRM music (just say you had a backup, do not say anything about Senuti) and that you really need your iTunes Plus music back. They've been known to allow people to download all of their purchases again.