iTunes Plus music videos still contain DRM (?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sehnsucht, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I was trying to use a clip from an iTunes Plus music video to create an animated gif, but the video player remains blank black while only the audio plays. I downloaded the music video from GoogleTube and it works fine.

This is very annoying. I guess the "Plus" videos still contain copy protection. So stupid. :rolleyes:

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

As far as I know, they don't. I can play an iTunes Plus music video on a system that doesn't even have iTunes (much less an 'authorized' system,) just fine.

What software are you using to try to play it that the video player is black?

3. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Generally, all iTunes Store video products still contain DRM and will for the forseeable future. It is my understanding that some music videos may lack DRM, but I would not count on it.......

4. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I've discovered. It was annoying to have paid $0.60 for the Plus upgrade only to find that it's still DRM'd. I tried multiple GIF-creating apps and none would display the video. The only app that would, unsurprisingly, was QuickTime. :rolleyes:

5. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

The iTunes Plus music videos in NOT DRM free video. The video is still locked, the Plus comes from the fact that the audio is of 256kbps quality. This was fully disclosed during the update to iTunes Plus, read your FAQ on iTunes about Plus videos. For taking the video and using it for other applications, your SOL.

6. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

MOST music videos have been converted to DRM free, but not all. The same is true for audio files.

I've completely upgraded, but still have about 268 items that still have DRM. I check the store every couple of weeks and they seem to be coming in a few at a time.

7. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Darth, the VIDEO is STILL DRM'd, the AUDIO is upgraded. Give correct information.

8. sbking macrumors member

I would definately contact customer support or something, when you upgrade it should NOT have DRM. But maybe it's the software your using to create GIFs, not the DRM. Try playing the video with another media player to see if it has DRM (Media Player Classic, VLC or something).

9. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

For the third time! VIDEOS are still DRM'd! Even the iTunes Plus Videos!

10. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

My information is much more correct than yours eric. iTunes Plus DOES include music videos.

Don't jump on people when you don't have the facts.

(Please note the difference between 'protected' video and 'purchased' video in the attachments)

Attached Files:

11. sbking macrumors member

FROM http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1711

Did you even read?

12. ericvmazzone macrumors regular

Darth, thank you for the correction. I had my stuff outdated, obviously. I remember when the iTunes Plus videos came out, they were still DRM'd but with higher quality audio. If there is not any DRM in them then why can the OP not use them in other editing software, because that makes no sense.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Because something else is wrong. That's what we're trying to figure out.

Again, I have played multiple iTunes Plus music videos, both audio and video, on 'non-authorized' computers in QuickTime, without iTunes even loaded. And I just played one in VLC on a Linux system.

14. bmb012 macrumors 6502

If you're just trying to make a tiny gif that I'm sure would be covered under fair use, could you just use a screen capture program? Or are those disabled while DRM tracks are playing?

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm assuming the video the OP is trying to use was purchased before the iTunes Plus transition, and was never upgraded.
    As you can see from my attachments, some of my music videos are still DRM'ed as well even though I bought the full upgrade for everything that was available. Not all songs and music videos made the transition to iTunes Plus. What wasn't updated was quietly removed from the store and is coming back as it becomes available in the new format. For example, a few albums I purchased from iTunes are now only available as partial albums in iTunes plus, so the album is not listed for me as available to upgrade.

The transition to iTunes plus is ongoing people...

16. Sehnsucht thread starter macrumors 65816

The video info, for those who are curious:

[​IMG]

Still don't know what to make of it.

17. sbking macrumors member

Maybe your software doesn't support .m4v files. Try making a copy of the file and change the file extension from .m4v to .mp4 maybe it helps..

For example, YAMB doesn't support .m4v files, but when I changed the video extension to .mp4, YAMB accepted the video input.

18. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

That file does not have any copy protection, what software are you using?

19. mattyxxl macrumors newbie

From Apples Site

Is there a change in video quality for iTunes Plus videos?
    No, the video quality remains the same. iTunes Plus means that the music videos are offered DRM-free and with our highest-quality audio within the video, 256 kbps AAC.

20. wdmeuk macrumors newbie

Regarding iTunes Plus on the Store... I have noticed whilst looking at the top 100 music videos chart (in the UK) that some videos do not have the [+] icon next to the price.

Are these videos protected and at 128kbps?

[​IMG]