Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matthew.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
I've just tried to upgrade my purchased songs to DRM free, and looking through the list I've found a few albums that I no longer have in my iTunes library, or even my computer.

I don't fancy paying for these considering I'll never listen to them, so does anyone know of a way to stop this happening? A way to remove them from my iTunes purchased list perhaps?

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
I've just tried to upgrade my purchased songs to DRM free, and looking through the list I've found a few albums that I no longer have in my iTunes library, or even my computer.

I don't fancy paying for these considering I'll never listen to them, so does anyone know of a way to stop this happening? A way to remove them from my iTunes purchased list perhaps?

no. it is an all or nothing purchase. It is based off of itune's computer record of your purchase, so you just can't delete it and think that itunes will also forget it as well.

I guess those "impulse" purchases of "mmmm....Bop" are biting you in the butt again :)

another reason to support Amazon.com music store. No drm, higher bit rate. Too bad for "herd mentality"

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
no. it is an all or nothing purchase. It is based off of itune's computer record of your purchase, so you just can't delete it and think that itunes will also forget it as well.

I guess those "impulse" purchases of "mmmm....Bop" are biting you in the butt again :)

another reason to support Amazon.com music store. No drm, higher bit rate. Too bad for "herd mentality"

Amazon uses MP3 which IMO, is inferior to AAC.

Don

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Well, since now most future iTunes purchases will be DRM free (who are the hold outs?), and like Dmac77 said, the iTunes+ downloads are generally higher quality, there's no reason to "support" Amazon over iTunes.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
in the past, the newest songs on amazon were 89 cents.

89 cents for DRM-free higher bit rate

itunes was 99 cents for DRM + 30 cents to unlock it, and if you want to unlock a song, you have to unlock ALL your songs. so the cost of upgrading at this point is much higher

While I concede that aac is more efficient than mp3, i think that they are identical sounding to 99% of people using standard headphones, and given the same bitrate, even with higher quality headphones, they are still identical.

and with the 3 tiered pricing, it seems likely that the newest songs will be the $1.29 vs 89 cents for amazon

again, it depends on musical taste. If you don't listen to the latest music, then itunes will be more economical.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
in the past, the newest songs on amazon were 89 cents.

89 cents for DRM-free higher bit rate

itunes was 99 cents for DRM + 30 cents to unlock it, and if you want to unlock a song, you have to unlock ALL your songs. so the cost of upgrading at this point is much higher

While I concede that aac is more efficient than mp3, i think that they are identical sounding to 99% of people using standard headphones, and given the same bitrate, even with higher quality headphones, they are still identical.

and with the 3 tiered pricing, it seems likely that the newest songs will be the $1.29 vs 89 cents for amazon

again, it depends on musical taste. If you don't listen to the latest music, then itunes will be more economical.

It also comes down to convenience. A lot of people who use the iTMS use it because it is convenient. I also prefer navigating the iTMS on the rare occasion that I download music from a service. I'll probably start to use the iTMS more, now, because al music will be offered in 256 kb/s, which is usable for me (192 is my bare minimum).

Don

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
yeah, browsing the amazon store is a chore. usually i'm not browsing for music. I search for the song directly. Itunes is much more conducive for browsing for music.

it is also easier to create ringtones since you don't have to transcode the files from mp3 to aac.

but now i have to check itunes to see if the plus version exists whenever i go for songs. but when the price goes up, i'll go to amazon to check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.