iTunes Plus upgrades??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AeroBar, Jan 28, 2009.

1. AeroBar macrumors 6502a

Hi,

does anyone know how long the special offer to upgrade your music to DRM free lasts?

cheers.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm pretty sure it's continuous until you actually do it.

3. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

that was a fast response.

much appreciated.

thank you.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

It's not a special offer, it is a fleecing of loyal Apple customers! Officially every song on iTunes will be DRM free. Apple charging us 30% to convert songs we already paid for, is wrong.

5. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then write a strongly worded letter to the guy running Apple.

Because I do not care.

How does one lock an answered thread please?

Regards.

6. minik macrumors 65816

You can now pick which song/album/music video to upgrade.

7. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks minik.

the world can change over night. thank goodness I procrastinated.

8. Resist macrumors 68030

So you buy $.99 song today, then in a few months all the iTunes songs are DRM free. Now you have to pay 30% to get the music you purchased today to be DRM free. That makes the price of that song $1.28.

I would suggest everyone wait on buying anything on iTunes until DRM free is completed on everything there.

9. AeroBar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Boring.

The question was very kindly answered.

How do I mark the thread as answered?

Thank you.

10. tingly macrumors 6502

Sometimes threads go in unintended directions. It's ok as long as it doesn't break the forum's rules.

11. minik macrumors 65816

Not exactly. Apple stated that 8M+ songs are DRM-free for now and at the end of the quarter all 10M+ songs will be DRM-free. Starting in April 1, there will be a 3-tier pricing, 69 cents, 99 cents, and $1.29 per track.

12. Resist macrumors 68030

I know what Apple said, but how would we know what songs we buy now are DRM free or not, without paying more than $.99 for them?

13. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

i also thing its wrong that there charging to make it drm free when now all those songs drm free are the same price i paid for them. but then again if i realy cared if my songs were drm free i woulda bought theme frome somewhere that has drm free songs then imported those into itunes :D

14. minik macrumors 65816

That's true. However, iTunes Plus also provides higher bitrate tracks.

I did a few songs upgrade over the weekend, it wasn't easy. For some reasons, the meta tags were different on some titles, which I lost all the playcounts on my previously purchased DRM songs.

15. Resist macrumors 68030

I understand the bitrate is double but Apple is charging us 30%, which means that 99 cent song cost you 30 cents more to upgrade. This now makes that song $1.29 which is at the high end price point on Apples upcoming music pricing tier. That same song currently only costs you 99 cents.

Loyal iTunes customers should get a break and not have to shell out 1/3 of the song price on top of what they already paid.

16. muldul macrumors 6502

It has been on for a while now, thought that doesn't mean that they wont put a deadline on it

17. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Technically, Apple is giving us "loyal" buyers value by stripping DRM and enhancing the value of the songs (along w/ the bitrate increase, which most probably can't hear the difference). Is the right to play the songs I already purchased from Apple on other devices worth more $? Actually, other than streaming to my X Box 360, I really have never had a problem with the limitations imposed by Fairplay. It was a pretty decently designed tradeoff to accomodate competing interests.

That having been said, it does feel like a screw job to me. Us early adopters made the Music Store what it is today. How about some love for us old timers?:D

18. Resist macrumors 68030

It just really ticks me off that I will end up paying $1.29 for the same quality and DRM free song, that someone else can now get for $.99 (or less). Thank goodness I didn't spend hundreds of dollars on iTunes for music.

Maybe Apple should come up with some sort of "loyalty" bonus plan for long time Apple customers. Because it sure seems like all they are doing is trying to get new customers and not trying to keep current customers loyal.

19. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

I can't say I'm happy having to pay a $.30 surcharge for DRM-free, but at least they're no longer requiring "all or none". It's given me the opportunity to cherry pick and redownload songs that have been lost for less than it'd cost to re-buy.

In addition I've upgraded some favorite songs that I've wanted to put on an mp3 disc I spin in my car. I've done it, but I hate burning a 128 DRM file to a CD then ripping it back on to my computer -- a pain in the butt, waste of time, and ultimately for degraded sound.

Besides, for months I've been buying from Amazon (they have some fantastic super-cheap deals-of-the-day) so I figure those savings way offset the added expense at iTunes. That said, outside of exclusives iTunes will not be getting much of my business back. I understand that AAC is supposed to be better, but the more widely usable mp3 format better serves my usage. And for must-have music, CD is still the best of those three options.

20. Resist macrumors 68030

I had the understanding that DRM free iTunes songs can now play on any mp music player. For instance I could now use songs from iTunes and play them on a Zune or creative labs player.

UPDATE: My mistake, the Zune can play mp3 music while the iPod can play mp3 and mp4 music, iTunes music is mp4.

Also I am so pissed off as I just purchased a song that ended up still being protected and only 128kbps. Thanks for freaking nothing iTunes, as now I will have to pay you again when the higher bit rate unprotected version is released!