Itunes PODCAST RANKING

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hellfire104, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hellfire104 macrumors newbie

I was wondering how Itunes ranks podcasts in their ranking system. I have a podcast that posts episodes every week and yet, there are podcasts that have been inactive for 4 years way ahead of me on the list. Why and how could this be? So I went on google and searched. This is what I found:

http://www.epicempire.com/itunes-podcast-ranking-system.html

Apparently, the Itunes ranking system is determined solely by how many times you click the subscribe button? Is this true? If so, the system is very flawed. Anybody care to comment on or confirm this?

Thanks!

2. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

It’s not exactly just the subscribe button, but it’s how many people subscribe to your podcast per week, day, hour, etc.

How else would they rank them? They already do some editorial work. That’s why podcasts like CBS News, NBC Nightly News, [insert blockbuster movie/TV show of the week’s behind the scenes podcast here], MacBreak and This Week in Tech are usually listed on the store’s podcast front door.

The top 15 seems pretty relevant to me. You gotta get out there and promote the hell out of your podcast. :p

Before iTunes, podcasts were relegated to RSS geeks.

Attached Files:

• rank.jpg
      rank.jpg
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
  3. hellfire104 thread starter macrumors newbie

So in other words, if i Just click subscribe on my podcast 200 times first thing every morning, I get to be at the top of my podcast type's list every day. Wow, thats amazing!

4. hellfire104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol! Auto-Click program running! Of course, I'm sure everybody is doing that.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Good way to get your podcast banned from the iTunes Store, too. You don’t think Apple has algorithms that detect click fraud?

6. hellfire104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I don't think they do. Otherwise, I could just click on a competitor's podcast half the night and get somebody else banned.

7. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular