iTunes "previous song" does not work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tex-Twil, May 13, 2010.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    When I'm playing a song in iTunes and want to hit the "previous" button to play the song from the beginning it does not work. The song just jumps to the beginning and immediately after back to the current position :(

What's wrong ?

iTunes 9.1.1

Thx,
    Tex

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you're playing a song and press the button to move to a previous track, the first time you press it, it jumps to the beginning of the currently playing song. If you quickly press it twice, it will jump to the previous song. If you're playing in shuffle mode (which I rarely use), I'm not sure if will work the same.

3. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

This is what is NOT working.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Does it happen with all songs, or just some? If only some, they might be corrupt files.

I know it's basic, but have you tried quitting/relaunching iTunes? Rebooting? Repairing permissions? Trashing the .plist file?

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

It happens with all the songs but not all the time :confused:

I moved my iTunes library from another mac to my new MBP.

I did reboot the mac. I will try to repair the permissions. What can I do with the plist file ?

Thanks for helping

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If repairing permissions doesn't fix it, you can delete this file and let iTunes rebuild it:
    /Users/~username~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

8. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Having the exact same issues as the original poster after just restoring my music library. I believe I saw the same problem when I was watching a QuickTime movie and attempted to rewind. This is all on Snow Leopard with the latest updates.

I haven't attempted any remedies, but it is very annoying. :mad:

9. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

Totally missed this piece in my first quick read through the thread. I'm in the exact same boat. Certainly interesting, but at least there's some sort of common link. :confused:

10. GraceGuitars macrumors newbie

I have the same issue on the same iTunes version. When this occurs, I find it easiest to press the NEXT track button and then immediate press the PREVIOUS track button. That does the trick.

11. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

yeah it's a kind of trick but I"d still like to have the normal behavior :(

12. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

iTunes seemed to have fixed itself after a restart. Although I did see it happen once again in QuickTime during a movie clip. Hopefully this won't be a lingering problem. :eek:

13. damian001 macrumors newbie

I have this problem too. The weird thing is that it works perfectly when I'm playing a song in one of my playlists.

My problem is a bit different from the TS though. It only occurs if I pause the song using the Play/Pause keyboard button (F8) and then start playing again. Then if I press the Previous button (F7) it'll play back to where I paused the song.

14. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

How about making a fresh library (hold option down when starting iTunes). Add one song and see what happens.

Then, try it in a new user.

Does it happen when you press the left arrow, or when you select if from the menu?

Also: huh just experienced this as well, but couldn't replicate it again.

15. damian001 macrumors newbie

Troblem still persists with a new library and even with a new user. It still occurs if I click the previous button on the GUI and by pressing the left arrow button on the keyboard. It doesn't happen when I select it from the menu though.

16. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Just to make sure this isn't iTunes, does it do this with songs bought off the store?

I'd file a bug report with Apple, from the menubar - iTunes (feedback).

17. damian001 macrumors newbie

I wouldn't know, but it does it with all the mp3s I have. I haven't experimented with other filetypes.

18. jon08 macrumors 65816

I've also been experiencing the same problem as of lately! I tried trashing the plist and it worked for a couple of mins, but after a while it got back to the previous state.......strange.