iTunes Pricing Structure Ridiculous

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Resist, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

Is Apple out of their mind wanting to charge most of their iTunes songs at $1.29? Personally I thought $.99 was to much.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They're... not.

They said most would be either .69 or .99 still. The newest and most popular would be $1.29.

3. greg555 macrumors 6502a

I doubt they "wanted to". From what I read it was part of the deal to finally get rid of DRM on the music. So that means it was the music labels that wanted it and Apple (finally) agreed to go along.

If my daughters are typical then young music buyers don't buy albums any more. The just buy one or two songs they like from an album. So the music industry want to may a little extra off of these songs rather than the $10 or $15 they used to make from a whole album sale.

I'm not real happy about the change but I can see the reasoning.

Greg

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I don't think it's "rediculous."

As long as the stuff I want is in the cheaper bracket. If it's not then yes, ridiculous.... :D

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I know what they said but I am hearing now that most will cost $1.29. It seems Apple lied to us. Guess I am going back to Amazon for my music.

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

From who? Other speculators? How about waiting before we actually know what's going on before complaining?

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

LOL, you're bailing based on what you "hear"? Why not wait until you actually *see* it?

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The pricing of the tracks will depend on the wholesale price set by the record labels, not Apple. End of story!

9. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

That is my point! This is the same industry that wanted DRM.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yes the music industry has still got its head screwed on backwards, but the point is, Apple isn't responsible for setting pricing, so it's not right to say that Apple is "out of their mind wanting to charge..." because it's not their call. In fact it was Apple alone that dragged the music industry reluctantly into the 21st century. Credit where it is due, blame where it is due -- please.

11. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

If the music industry was able to get Apple to cave, how long do you think Amazon will be allowed to stay at $.99? Remember, the music industry gave them a sweet deal as leverage against Apple. Now that they have Apple back in line they can tell Amazon to take a hike completely if they, too, don't fall in line.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hmm. Well, personally I'm not outraged by this pricing scheme -- yet. I'm going to wait and see how many tracks end up at the higher price. I have a feeling that very little of interest to me will.

13. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

99.99% of iTunes users purchase the "newest and most popular". :mad:

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Argh, can we please change the thread title? It's almost as bad as seeing "definately"... (/grumpy old man)

I think the music industry has once again got it totally wrong with respect to it's wholesale pricing. I was being a bit of a smart-arse before but really, why can't we just be done with it already?

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Done.

I think that it bears waiting and seeing. Why not use Amazon where it is an option? I do. Amazon is only a very slight nuisance over iTunes (the biggest thing has become, for me, that I impulse buy songs on my iPhone, which of course I cannot do on Amazon as of yet).

But vote with your wallet. If sales tank because of the new pricing structure, I think Apple will not easily give up its newly dominant position in music sales.

16. yizzle0912 macrumors newbie

I don't have any problems with the most popular songs being 1.29; ultimately with the new structure I'll end up saving. But the only thing is, the new structure is just confusing...it was a lot simpler when everything was just 99 cents.

17. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Thats fine if you have that option...
    In New Zealand we still can't get access to Amazon and the other digital music providers only support WMA :(

18. yossim macrumors regular

yossim

Well I guess they will no longer be able to boast, "And as always, just 99 cents a song"

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Mmm... nope. Don't make sweeping generalizations.

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is Apple implementing flexible pricing in April in New Zealand, also?

FWIW I hope you get Amazon soon. They're really quite excellent.

21. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I mainly use iTunes to buy older music (5-10 years old) because it's like hen's teeth to find the older music in stores and if you do you normally pay top $$.

22. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

We still have fixed pricing until the end of the year then I believe when the contracts are renewed it will be with the same pricing structure.

We still don't get TV shows in NZ :(

23. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

It is people like you that allow Apple to sell their products at an inflated price. What you don't understand is that ultimately you WON'T end up saving money with Apple's new music pricing structure. Everyone keeps saying Apple has no choice about their music prices. Well then how is it that Amazon doesn't have a problem with DRM free (and less expensive) music?

24. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Might have something to do with the music industry trying to force Apple into the new agreement by letting Amazon having better pricing and DRM free.

25. yossim macrumors regular

yossim