iTunes - Princess Bride HD or SD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scifigal777, Aug 4, 2012.

1. scifigal777 macrumors newbie

Hello

I'm am new to buying from iTunes so I need some advice.

Short Version:

Is buying Princess Bride in HD worth it compared to SD?

Long Version:

I have an ATV3 hooked up to a 40" TV that can display 1080p.

I've been trying to tell the difference between HD and SD on my apple TV by changing the itunes store settings between SD and HD and watching the same tv clip, but I can't see any. I don't know if I'm not doing it right, or if there isn't enough of a difference.

I've also noticed that an episode of Babylon 5 in SD looked fine, but Doctor Who's "Fear Her" looked notably bad, but Doctor Who's "The Doctor, the Widow and Wardrobe" also looks fine. (I only own SD versions of these.)

If anyone owns Princess Bride on iTunes, can you let me know how the HD and SD versions compare?

I was able to get $100 iTunes gift card for $80 at Office Max, so for me, it's a choice between $16 for HD and $8 for SD.

Also, Princess Bride is my favorite movie in the universe. But there's no point in paying extra if there isn't going to be a noticeable difference.

Thank you
    SFG

2. joeysarks macrumors regular

They gave the bluray version transfer of it a 4/5 stars...I wouldn't think the iTunes version would be that far off.

Unless you're watching it on a MBPr then it's gonna look pixelated anyways from what i've been hearing.
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/511/princessbride.html

3. scifigal777 thread starter macrumors newbie

So what you're saying is I should just get the SD?

My mac is a Macbook Air, but I primarily watch things on my TV.

Thanks
    SFG

4. RedCroissant, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

RedCroissant Suspended

I would only buy HD movies that really need or benefit from the HD. Most movies from the 90s, any cartoon, tv shows...things like that I always use the SD version. Now if it's a superhero movie, something to do with space, planet earth..things like that; then I would get the HD version. That will save you a lot of money as well over the long run.

And yes, I do have The Princess Bride that I backed up from a DVD that looks great in SD. I only had a 32" LCD 720p HDTV though.