itunes problem - can't locate songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by samo1215, Oct 25, 2008.

1. samo1215 macrumors member

I have a newish macbook pro running both osx and windows xp pro. In addition, I have a third FAT32 partition on my hard drive where I store all of my music files so that I can share them with both operating systems. The problem I am having is I will attempt to play a song and an error message telling me the file cannot be found pops up and then asks me if I would like to locate the original. If I select yes and then find the file, when I attempt to listen to that song in the other operating system I get the same error message.

I don't understand what the problem is considering I'm not actually changing the location of the file and both itunes libraries are set to manage my music. FYI, I have the most recent version of itunes for both osx and windows.

2. macdumb macrumors member

I get the same problem. They will play on my Ipod but not on the MAC. I think I messed it up when I tried to put the songs on my new MAC. But it is just some of the songs.

Can this be fixed?

3. samo1215 thread starter macrumors member

I actually tried this a couple of times and was extremely careful to make sure that all file pathnames were correct and that both itunes library's were set so that the library folder is my data partition where the music resides.

As I have investigated it further I have noticed a disparity in the way each itunes library displays some of the artists and tracknames. My music library was originally created on my old PC. So it was no surprise that when I access my library with Windows everything in my library displays correctly (with a few errors but I think they are related to a separate issue). However, when I open the same tracks in OSX, some of the songs display funny and often times the artist is in the song title. I'm guessing this might also have something to do with the mp3 tag but am not presently that knowledgeable about their inner workings. Can anybody else shed some light on this?