Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
I posted this previously in the iPod thread but would like to see if anyone has a solution here (if there are different ideas on this forum).

((I created playlists from the library of iTunes then loaded the lists on the iPT. Many of the songs would not "play", that is the time indicator moved but there was no sound. I checked the properties and they are "protected AAC" files vs "purchased AAC" or MPEG which both play OK.
What can be done to correct this.
This is new iPT with 2.0.2 update as of last week.
Songs which I have copied to iTunes from my CD's play OK and the iTunes is set to import CD's with "MP3 Encoder". Is there a similar setting for acquiring songs from Apple into iTunes.
What can be done with the songs already downloaded from iTunes that are "protected" so that I can play them on the iPT?))

Additional info: the PC with iTunes is authorized, I did not do a "reset" as suggested yet, and copying all the "protected AAC" songs to a disc then back to iTunes seems ridiculous as I can't imagine the rest of the iPod users have to do this.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Actually to convert any protected file, any and every iPod user would have to go the route of burning them all to CD and reimporting them as MP3's.

Touchy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
Cape Breton
OK that seems to be the consensus and I will have to do it for those already purchased. However, is it "normal" or usual that purchases from iTunes (which mine all were) are protected AAC tracts? If so, it seems impossibly difficult to load songs on to iPod touch from created playlists from the iTunes library as none of them will play on the iPod touch. I just can't see the logic of Apple selling songs that are protected AAC, that will play in iTunes just fine but won't be able to be loaded on to iPod touch and played there. Can anyone explain this to me or am I missing something and still confused. Please help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.