iTunes problem & locked disk

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Maxi86, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Maxi86, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011

Maxi86 macrumors regular

I was doing multiple tasks on my iMac: playing a few tables poker online, listening to music via iTunes and browsing my external HDD; all on Windows btw, with 2 monitors. Suddenly something went wrong, and both screens turned black and the computer was turned off.
    I pushed the power button, held the Alt-Option button, and chose Windows 7 again. I did get a message Windows was shutdown inappropriately, but nothing unusual. But when I tried to open iTunes, I got this message:
    ' The folder "iTunes" is on a locked disk or you do not have write permissions for this folder'
    After clicking OK, it brings me to the 'Choose iTunes Library' screen.

The folder it's referring to, is located on my third partition:
    [1] BOOTCAMP (C: ) NTFS, [2] Macintosh HD (E: ) HFS, [3] Media (F: ) exFAT.

But as I enter the Media (F: ) partition nothing seems out of the ordinary...
    Does anyone have any idea what I should do?
    I could just copy the iTunes Library.itl file and move it somewhere else and then load it with iTunes... but I just wanna be careful...

Btw I'm sharing the same iTunes Library file with both OS'es, and the same goes for the iTunes Media folder.

2. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

There's more to it... as it seems there's something wrong with the Media (F: ) drive...
    I can't delete anything on it... Is it actually 'locked'? How can I unlock it, without losing any data?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is under Windows?

Sounds like you make have to run
    Code:
    chkdsk /f f:
    http://serverfault.com/questions/3997/exfat-read-only-after-crash

B

5. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

ooh at last the great B comes to the rescue once again ;)
    yes this is all in Windows, I haven't tried in Mac OS X though...

but the link you mentioned is exactly what has happened: exFAT read-only after crash....

so do I have to enter the code "chkdsk /f f:" in Windows Command Processor? that's it? btw will this take long? the drive is 650GB and has only 8GB free room left.

6. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

on the link I found: chkdsk x: where x is the partition that is read-only after crash

but you said chkdsk /f f:
    so does it matter which one I typ in command?

7. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried chkdsk /f f:

I got this message:
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N)

As far as I can tell, I'm not using the drive...
    I'm afraid that when I force a dismount, the drive will disappear and I won't be able to access it anymore...

8. Maxi86 thread starter macrumors regular

I tried it, and once again everything is back to normal!
    The disk is unlocked and iTunes can load the Library again.
    Thanks a lot, B ;) You saved me once again!