iTunes problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Barret Oliver, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Barret Oliver macrumors newbie

I have a problem with iTunes. Does anybody know how to fix it?

I have over 30 gigs of music which I imported from CDs, mostly opera, which has a track 01, track 02, track 03 naming set-up.

My problem is, sometimes I accidentally erase tracks from my playlists and I can never find them again.

I know iTunes has a 'find duplicate track' feature, which doesn't really help me.

Is there any sort of add-on or feature that would list the tracks that are (lost) in the library but are not represented on any playlists? That would be a great feature to have.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

In iTunes, click on the Library (top listing). All of your music files should show up there. Find the ones you deleted from the playlist and drag them to the playlist.

-DH

3. Barret Oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

I have over 9000+ tracks in the library and playlists. If I delete something from the playlists without knowing it, how can I find the deleted song? To go through 9000+ tracks to find the one that's not in the playlists would be impossible. :(

4. -DH macrumors 65816

I'm still trying to figure out two things; one is why in the world you'd add songs to a playlist without a proper name and the other is how do you accidentally delete a song from a playlist? I mean I know how you can deliberately delete a song ... but accidentally? And with that many songs it would seem that you intentionally like confusion/clutter if you aren't giving them a name.

One of the main things about iTunes is that it can help you keep track of all your music files ... but it can only do so much. The user has to do some things as well or you end up in a situation like you currently find yourself.

-DH

5. Barret Oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

I have several hundred rather obscure Italian Baroque operas from the 1650s to the late 1800s in my library. Some of these recordings span 4 CDs with over 150 tracks per recording. CD Gracenote doesn't have the info and I'm not going to type in the Italian name of each aria, for example, "Stupenda Vittoria, la morte lo non pavento." So I just name the opera, "Idomeneo" and just list it as Track 01, 02, etc.

I realize most people use iTunes for pop music, and it's quite simple naming Britney Spears songs, but not as easy with classical music.

As for things vanishing, the iTunes user interface isn't too well thought out. On Mac OSX, shift-apple-N creates a new folder, yet in iTunes you have have to use shift-N (shift-apple-N) doesn't do anything.

If you try to create a new folder or playlist in a subfolder, you have to click on the subfolder first. So If I want to create ten new playlists in a sub-folder, I have to click on the subfolder, then click shift-N, then click on the subfolder again, then click shift-N -- instead of it simply creating a new playlist right below that last playlist created. It's annoying.

If you have twenty or so folders, it's easier. I have hundreds, and hundreds of subfolders, with music based upon conductor, composer, geography, modern vs. ancient instruments, singers, orchestra, etc.

And contrary to what you say, it's very easy to erase something. All you have to do is hit the backspace button and poof! It's gone. it's also very easy to drop folders within other folders.

You can't label anything? Why are there no labels? It's a pain just to rename folders. You have to constantly double-click it to get it to highlight it.

OS X is nice, and the general concept behind iTunes is nice, but the interface reminds me of Windows. It could be made a lot simpler.

And P.S. they're not songs, they're tracks. I wouldn't call the first movement of Beethoven's 5th Symphony a song. would you?

6. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Can't you just find the album "Idomeneo" and find the track you're missing? As long as you know the album (opera) it's from, shouldn't that narrow it down to a lot less than 9000+?

7. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

But Beethoven's german not italian, Why don't you add the track/album names and order (Track number) just out of curiosity I have for 500+ songs/tracks (I know not exactly 9000+) it was tiring but at least I can locate a song/track if it gets deleted from a playlist quickly?

8. Barret Oliver thread starter macrumors newbie

I have them labelled all by album (be it opera, symphony, concerto, etc). And if I knew something was deleted, I could find it quickly. Problem is, with over 9000 tracks and 40 gigs of music, if I delete something without realizing I've deleted it, I have no idea it's gone. I.e. I could have a lot of tracks in my library which for some reason aren't in my playlists, so I'll never see them. I dunno about other people, but I play music 100 percent from the playlists. I never click on selections from the library directly.

It just seems if iTunes could highlight songs in the library which are not in the playlists, that would be as worthy a feature as iTunes highlighting duplicate songs.

And another problem with iTunes, why can't they add a view listing for 'conductor'? that's gotta be just as important as 'album artist' or 'bitrate'

9. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I know I'm about 9 days late and you seem to be banned now, but here we go anyway.

Don't know if there is a conductor field, but there is a composer field and that can be added.

As for deleting things too easily, reset the warnings and don't click the check-box that says "do not warn me again" etc... this way if you accidentally hit the delete key, it wont delete it immediately, but ask you first and you probably will save yourself.

I have a lot of classical myself, not 9,000 tracks, but my whole library has 13,000, so my advice is to take the time to label your tracks, I know it's hard sometimes, especially when your labelling stuff in other languages with special characters, but it helps at the end of the day. And if you don't do it now, just wait till your library has doubled or triples in size and think how hard it's going to be then. A small amount of effort can make a whole heap of difference.