itunes protected AAC audio files?

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Romford
Hi

Does anyone know how to change the itunes purchased songs from the AAC audio files to MP3? I only wanted to use a song as a ring tone but my phone only plays MP3s. Any ideas?
Ive tried burning the songs to a cd and geting them off there but that only makes them AIFF files, please help!:confused:

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mojosixty said:
Hi

Does anyone know how to change the itunes purchased songs from the AAC audio files to MP3? I only wanted to use a song as a ring tone but my phone only plays MP3s. Any ideas?
Ive tried burning the songs to a cd and geting them off there but that only makes them AIFF files, please help!:confused:
Change your compression settings in iTunes to MP3 instead of AAC and use iTunes to import the CD.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using (MP3)

B

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Romford
balamw said:
Change your compression settings in iTunes to MP3 instead of AAC and use iTunes to import the CD.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using (MP3)

B

yeah i just checked it, its already set on MP3 encoder. hum....

balamw

Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
New England
mojosixty said:
yeah i just checked it, its already set on MP3 encoder. hum....
Another way is to import the AIFF to iTunes and right-click on the file to "Convert to MP3".

B

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Washington, DC
The OP was actually talking about converting protected-AAC purchased from the iTMS to mp3.

This is not possible through iTunes. protected AACs are DRMprotected. The only way to do this is to burn the purchased songs to a CD, then re-import to iTunes using mp3 encoder.* This of course, loses a generation of quality.

But, if it's just for a ringtone, you wouldn't notice.

*disclaimer - circumventing DRM is technically not the most legal thing you could do this afternoon.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
jruc4871 said:
The OP was actually talking about converting protected-AAC purchased from the iTMS to mp3.

This is not possible through iTunes. protected AACs are DRMprotected. The only way to do this is to burn the purchased songs to a CD, then re-import to iTunes using mp3 encoder.* This of course, loses a generation of quality.

But, if it's just for a ringtone, you wouldn't notice.

*disclaimer - circumventing DRM is technically not the most legal thing you could do this afternoon.
Read the OP's post again...he tried burning to CD and re-ripping.

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
Romford
balamw said:
Another way is to import the AIFF to iTunes and right-click on the file to "Convert to MP3".

B
the songs downloaded from itunes say they cant be converted because they are proctected files. Ive just burnt the protected songs to a cd and then once they are on a cd as a AIFF file they can be converted to MP3. got it!

:) thanks for your help