itunes protected AAC audio files?

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
3
0
Romford
Hi

Does anyone know how to change the itunes purchased songs from the AAC audio files to MP3? I only wanted to use a song as a ring tone but my phone only plays MP3s. Any ideas?
Ive tried burning the songs to a cd and geting them off there but that only makes them AIFF files, please help!:confused:
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,368
978
New England
mojosixty said:
Hi

Does anyone know how to change the itunes purchased songs from the AAC audio files to MP3? I only wanted to use a song as a ring tone but my phone only plays MP3s. Any ideas?
Ive tried burning the songs to a cd and geting them off there but that only makes them AIFF files, please help!:confused:
Change your compression settings in iTunes to MP3 instead of AAC and use iTunes to import the CD.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using (MP3)

B
 

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
3
0
Romford
balamw said:
Change your compression settings in iTunes to MP3 instead of AAC and use iTunes to import the CD.

Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using (MP3)

B

yeah i just checked it, its already set on MP3 encoder. hum....
 

balamw

Moderator
Staff member
Aug 16, 2005
19,368
978
New England
mojosixty said:
yeah i just checked it, its already set on MP3 encoder. hum....
Another way is to import the AIFF to iTunes and right-click on the file to "Convert to MP3".

B
 

jruc4871

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
131
0
Washington, DC
The OP was actually talking about converting protected-AAC purchased from the iTMS to mp3.

This is not possible through iTunes. protected AACs are DRMprotected. The only way to do this is to burn the purchased songs to a CD, then re-import to iTunes using mp3 encoder.* This of course, loses a generation of quality.

But, if it's just for a ringtone, you wouldn't notice.

*disclaimer - circumventing DRM is technically not the most legal thing you could do this afternoon.
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,271
1,177
jruc4871 said:
The OP was actually talking about converting protected-AAC purchased from the iTMS to mp3.

This is not possible through iTunes. protected AACs are DRMprotected. The only way to do this is to burn the purchased songs to a CD, then re-import to iTunes using mp3 encoder.* This of course, loses a generation of quality.

But, if it's just for a ringtone, you wouldn't notice.

*disclaimer - circumventing DRM is technically not the most legal thing you could do this afternoon.
Read the OP's post again...he tried burning to CD and re-ripping.
 

mojosixty

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
3
0
Romford
balamw said:
Another way is to import the AIFF to iTunes and right-click on the file to "Convert to MP3".

B
the songs downloaded from itunes say they cant be converted because they are proctected files. Ive just burnt the protected songs to a cd and then once they are on a cd as a AIFF file they can be converted to MP3. got it!

:) thanks for your help