iTunes purchases with a stolen credit card?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rocknr66, Feb 8, 2010.

1. rocknr66 macrumors newbie

Hello, all.
    As you can see I am a brand new member so please excuse me if I am missing any specific protocols.

My questions are concerning stolen credit cards and what, if anything Apple/iTunes can do to help.

My wife's purse was stolen last night so for the last five hours we have been jumping through hoops trying to get that all sorted out. A very long process which I think will be ongoing for some time. We have a clear picture of the thief from a surveillance camera at a local store.

Among the other purchases made, was a charge to iTunes.
    Is it possible to add a card that is in someone else's name to an existing account? Or, did they have to open a new account in my wife's name?

What information does iTunes gather in these cases? Will they be able to provide us any usable info? User name or password? IP address, maybe? Can an IP address lead to a physical address? Would the police even follow up on this stuff?

Has anybody been through anything similar, and was Apple/iTunes helpful at all?

Thank you so much to anyone who took the time to read this. I have been meaning to join MacRumors for a while and often look here for help on tech issues.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Honestly I would not wait for responses here and just call Apple to see what they can do about it.

3. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Hey there. Hope this helps.

You can add another card yes and change the card that is already on the iTunes account. You dont have to open another account.

Also you may want to email apple about it anyway and explain your situation in this circumstance you are probably best to ring them maybe.

Somebody have more information than me but hope this clears some of it up.

Im assuming they have IP ad's

Sorry to hear also

Miles is right actually, best to drop them a call

Mat :apple:

4. rocknr66 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again.
    Just wanted to post a little update. It turns out the surveillance footage at the store proved more helpful than we initially thought. An employee happened to walk in while the manager was reviewing the tape and actually recognized the suspects. Unfortunately, the police are still dragging their feet, have yet to make an arrest and know one will tell us the thief's name.

On a positive note, I am posting this from our new 21.5" iMac! Less than an hour old.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Good to hear. I'd also add (belatedly) that you're not liable for any credit card charges you didn't make, and it's the card company's responsibility to investigate claims of unapproved charges.

6. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

They are dragging their feet because this is a very low priority issue. Unless you were bilked out of hundreds of thousands of dollars, the police are not going to waste their time. Besides, if that's all the thief stole then he or she will get probation and no jail time anyway. So what's the point. If you really want to take matters into your own hands track down the thief yourself and take 'em to civil court.

7. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I contacted the police one time about buying a laptop on eBay that was never delivered. It turned out that this guy on eBay went from being a good seller to being a bad seller overnight. He was probably hard up on cash because he did this to three different people.

Anyways the policeman I talked to told me that they couldn't do anything because technically I wasn't out of any money. I paid with a credit card and American Express ended up refunding me the full amount after waiting for like 2 months.

In my experience police officers are reluctant to do anything unless it's serious., but what is serrious depends in what neighborhood ou live in. It will also depend on how the cop is feeling. My gf was in a minor accident and she called to get a police report and the police came and made the report. My mom was also in a minor accident and the police said they couldn't take a report because no one was hurt and both drivers exchanged information, so why did they get a police report for my gf under similiar situations?

Anyways good luck with getting that resolved.