iTunes Que Songs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MXSkier62, Aug 26, 2010.

1. MXSkier62 macrumors regular

How come this feature has never been released? How many times have you been listening to music with friends through a stereo, or simply enjoying a good shuffle list, and all of a sudden you're struck with an urging to hear a different song. Problem is, you don't want to leave the one you're on, you only want to listen to it next. And even after you finish listening to it, you want to be able to resume your previous shuffle list. Seems common enough right?

Then why has Apple never released this feature? I understand the ability to make customizable playlists, but we're not talking about lots of songs. Just one single song. And it could be designed to only allow one song to be qued. Not too challenging I would think.

And it would be so easy to implement. Add a button next to the genius button on the bottom of iTunes with a big Q on it. Highlight the song you want, press that button, and BAM. Done. On an iPod touch/iPhone, just swipe over the song you want to que up (like in email), and a red button will pop up saying "que" and done. And on an iPod with a click wheel, maybe hold down the center button and the fast-foward button when you're highlighted over the song you want to que and done.

I'm no programming expert, but this seems easy enough. And I don't think the argument, "oh, just make a playlist" applies. Any thoughts? Would this be a good feature?

2. Salacion macrumors 6502a

So basically multitasking for music?

I'd need to think about it more deeply, but on a superficial level, it sounds brilliant.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

If you're listening to iTunes DJ, you can already do this. Go into your library and select the song you want to hear next. Right click on it, and select Play Next in iTunes DJ.

4. MXSkier62 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that you can do it in iTunes DJ, but from a more functional standpoint, why hasn't this been applied to the entirety of iTunes? Everyone who has ever listened to iTunes, either a playlist or their entire library, has wanted to listen to a song "next" but wanted to finish the one they were on before switching. iTunes DJ is fun, but it just isn't practical for the more conventional usages of iTunes.

Also, does anyone know who I could e-mail Apple with my suggestion? I don't want to e-mail Steve because it would certainly be way to long to get a response, and it should go to someone in the iTunes department, not the big guy.