iTunes question about songs in library

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hogpen, Aug 11, 2008.

1. hogpen macrumors newbie

I moved all of my songs from my old pc to my hp notebook using my iPod. Everything worked fine except for the fact that when I open iTunes, the only songs in the library are the ones that came with the computer(sample music). When I open up my music folder, there is another folder called iTunes and inside that is a folder called iTunes music which has all of my music in it. So my question is how do I get that music from that folder to my iTunes library?
    I feel like an idiot and this seems like something easy, but I can't figure it out.
    Thanks so much.

2. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

dont worry. its a common problem. sometimes, itunes doesnt know where your library is, so all you need to do is redirect it. go to edit>prefrences and navigate to the advanced tab. where it says itunes music folder location, make sure that the folder that all of your music is is selected. if not, click change and change it

hope that helps!

3. hogpen thread starter macrumors newbie

For some reason, that doesn't work. When I do what you said, I change it to
    C:\Users\Will\iTunes\iTunes Music which should work but I click OK and nothing happens. Under iTunes Music I have all of my artists and then you click again to get to a folder with the album title and then you click on the album title to get to each song. And for some reason, some of the songs are M4A files and some are MP3 files. I don't know what that means as far as my iTunes library goes though.

4. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

thats the way iTunes organizes. ArtisT>album>song.mp3

.m4a is no big deal, its iTunes/ mac format.

if you quit and came re-opened it to find nothing there again, just click the itunes music folder in windows explorer and drag it into the iTunes window.

It should then scan the entire folder you entered and add all the music.

5. hogpen thread starter macrumors newbie