iTunes question for my new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by useref15, Jul 8, 2011.

1. useref15 macrumors newbie

So, I switched from a PC to Mac. I don't have any of my music on a external hard drive or anything. So, when I plug in my iPhone to my new MBP, what is going to happen to my itunes library. Will it transfer all my songs that are on my phone into my computer? I don't want it to erase all my songs that are on my phone.

Thanks

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Congratulations and welcome to Mac.

An iDevice can only be synced with one computer (PC or Mac) at a time, so yeah, I think you may lose what you currently have on your iPhone.

Why don't you transfer your music files to your new Mac and re-sync? A pain, but small one.

3. blackbinary macrumors member

If you don't have an external drive to transfer the music, you can have your macbook join the same network as your PC. Then you can browse the PC, and drag over the music folder(s). This way you can transfer the music from your old PC to your MBP.

4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

You can connect the device to the new MBP and use the "transfer purchases" option to transfer purchased items to the new computer. You can also back up the settings to the new Mac Via iTunes as well. That way, you can then transfer the songs and apps back to the iPhone once transferred to the new MBP.

5. Minhthien macrumors 6502

Do you have an external HD? If so, do like what i did:

Copy the whole music folder of your old itune to the HD and plug it in your new MBP now just drag the folder and drop it in itune while it open.

6. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

You can technically transfer music from your iPhone to your Mac but it's not easy (assuming you haven't bought, or acquired 100% of your music from iTunes).

Easiest way is to just put all your music, photos, and whatever else on an external drive and transfer it to your new Mac. I don't know why you wouldn't do this in the first place. A Mac without content isn't much fun.

7. craighton macrumors member

craighton

Well I know with iTunes you can transfer purchases from your iPhone to your Mac, but it won't transfer all music. You know that you can use the storage features of you iPhone.

Like plug it in and use it as an external HDD by going into My Computer and browsing to the root folder transfer your music to there and then transfer it from the iPhone to the new computer.

That might be the easiest for you.