iTunes Question: Large library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rhett7660, Jan 17, 2009.

1. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Hello..

I have a rather large iTunes collection (think 25K worth of songs). I have these songs split over 3 hard drives. I am purchased a large drive to house all of the music on one drive (with back up of course).

Question: Since I am going to be moving a very large portion over, to another drive, is there anyway to get iTunes to recognize the move? I can go through and do one at a time but that would take for ever. I usually just do the delete and add back in but that takes a while also.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Wouldn't you be able to do basically the same thing as when you move to a new HDD?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Point iTunes to the new HDD and then consolidate? It should move everything for you, it will take some time since you have a huge iTunes library. I've moved my 5,000 song library this way without any problems.

3. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thought about doing that. However, here is one issue. It didn't address it. I have my iTunes library xml files located on another disk while the songs and now videos are located on another. If I do this, it will put all of the songs on the one hard drive correct?

IE Mp3_1 through Mp3_3--> Mp3_1 while the library folder is on Mp3_Movie. Hope this makes sense? I ended up just deleting those songs that I was moving and re-adding them.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Go to Advanced in Prefs, change the directory of your iTunes library to your new big hard drive. Go to the File menu>Library>Consolidate Library. It will move everything for you to your new big hard drive.

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I assume that doing it this way also preserves playlists, ratings, etc.?

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

When I've done this it moves the files (Songs, Video's, Podcast, etc.) but doesn't move the xml file. So my playlists and play counts stayed intact. For some rather odd reason it doesn't move your iPod Games or your iPhone/iPod Touch App folder. I suppose since iTunes is doing the moving for your it must update the locations automatically. However it does it, it was a painless process. It took a while to move everything but when it was done it worked perfectly.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yes everything is preserved.

8. rhett7660 thread starter macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thanks for the tips.... however it wouldn't work, or would it, if I have my iTunes files stored on disk one and all of my music is stored on disk 2. The music was stored on disks 3 and 4. All of the music was moving to disk 2. So I can't do the consolidation because I don't want it on disk 1. I want all the music on disk 2 and all of the movies on disk 3 now.

Thanks again for the tips!

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Oh. I am not quite sure then about that, other than manually moving the files. That can be messy too.

10. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Is there a reason you want your movies & music on different drives? Or is the music drive just not big enough to hold the movies, too?