iTunes question regarding library organization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oliviervdv, Feb 13, 2012.

1. oliviervdv macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I am a PC user that will soon make the jump.
    I have ordered a 21.5 iMac with a 2Tb HDD so that it can hold my very large music collection.

Let me start by saying I never liked iTunes, on a PC at least.

However I think it can be ok, especially since I already have an iPad and plan on getting an iPhone as well. It must match right? =)

Anyway, I have 2 questions that will not make me change my mind, but I just want to prepare correctly:

1. Now that iTunes is at version 10, how good is it at managing 100k+ songs ? I currently have over 125k songs and it will keep growing...

2. Is there a way to customize how the media folder is organized? My collection is very well tagged, and is currently stored using a Genre\Album Artist - Album\Track - Title pattern. I like it that way, but I can see that with iTunes Windows, it is stored using a Artist\Album method.

I think I can live with #2 but if there is a way not to, I'd like to know how.

Thanks in advance for your help!

OV

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

1. only have ~13k, but very good at managing that.

2. You can sort by genre easily... the the secondary sort, who knows.

edit. oh stored! No, can't changing storing method IIRC. But can change sorting method within iTunes

3. oliviervdv thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am familiar with iTunes "inside" (I use the column browser all the time).

My question was referring to the physical file organization on the disc.

It doesn't matter much, as it's just a habit. My music collection is very VERY important to me, so much that I have 2 external backups.
    If I move to iTunes and it reorganizes everything, I'll have to redo the backups.
    Again, I can live with it.

But if there was a way not to, I would prefer it :)

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Just tell iTunes not to organize your music. iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced -> "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to Library".

jW