iTunes question(s)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mugetsu, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Mugetsu macrumors newbie

So, I've never bought an iPod before. But when the new one comes out, I am planing on buying it for my girlfriend. (She still has an iPod mini.)

Here's my question:
    Is there a way that I can get the iPod, put a bunch of songs on it, then give it to her. and then will she be able to add her iTunes library to it?
    and of course, we have different iTunes accounts, and different computers.
    also the music I'd be putting on there would be DRM Free.

So how can I make this work? cause I've been hearing people say that you have to register the ipod with your account, and then you can only put songs from that account onto the iPod. So if we have 2 different accounts then it wont work?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

an iPod can only sync with one iTunes library. the music you want to give her will have to be imported to her iTunes library and then sync'd to the iPod through her computer.

if you do load it with songs from your iTunes library, when she plugs it in to her computer, it will ask her if she wants to clear the iPod and start over (with her library). if she chooses yes, those songs will be erased from the iPod; if she chooses no, the iPod will still have those songs on it, but no others from her library will transfer.

3. Schnebar macrumors 6502

if she selects do not automatically update ipod then it should not overwrite your stuff. She could drag playlists on to add to the ipod. She will need a different program he she also wants to put those songs on her computer.

4. Mugetsu thread starter macrumors newbie

could she register the ipod on her computer and on her account...

and then come over to my house. and log in to itunes with her account on my computer and get the songs that way?

5. Schnebar macrumors 6502

As long as the computers are set to update manually in preferences then you can use any comp. Just drag the playlists you want on the ipod when it is connected

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

no it doesn't work like that. one's iTunes library (i.e., collection of songs) is only available on that person's computer. your specific library, for instance, is not available on any computer you use just because you log into your iTunes Store account on that computer.

schnebar's idea to drag manually might work (i've never tried it myself).

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to put all the songs you want to give her on a little thumb drive, and when you go to her house, just copy them from that onto her computer.

8. Mugetsu thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help people.
    I'll be sure to let all of you know how it works out.