itunes, question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tug, Sep 2, 2010.

1. tug macrumors 6502

hi guys, my question is, how do you play an album in itunes without all the tracks being added to your playlist? whenever i play mp3 tracks no matter what i do they automatically add themselves, and if i dont want them i have to trash them after, if i dont then they become part of my list which is annoying. thankyou for any response.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you play them via a Playlist or do you just select the Album in the browser?

And if you use a Playlist, what kind of playlist do you use? AFAIK, you can drag an entire album to a playlist you created.

Which iTunes version do you have btw?

3. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for your quick response spinnerlys, i am using version 9.2.1. i have got albums in folders and i drag them into a new playlist on itunes, it plays and then i notice that the entire album has ended up in my music playlist, all the tracks of the album, and then i have to delete them one by one.i just wonder if there is a way of playing said albums without them embedding into my playlist in music. any ideas? thanks.

4. dhd macrumors member

dhd

In iTunes advanced preferences uncheck "copy to to itunes media folder when adding to library". You should be aware that if you move/delete the music from finder itunes won't be able to find the file (I prefer to let itunes manage the file management for me).

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you want to try out some music without adding to iTunes, use another player such as VLC.

6. tug thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks dhd, youve solved it for me. also thanks consultant for responding.