Itunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 6Jetwrangler, Dec 27, 2010.

1. 6Jetwrangler macrumors newbie

Itunes demons got me again.
    I have about 2 or 3 gigs out of my 350+GB collection on my internal HD. I keep everything on my external since it is so much. How this music copied to my internal HD I really have no clue. I just copied 15 cds in a row to itunes and half went to external and half went to internal. Everything plays and works fine I just want it all on the external. How can I get the music to my external without messing it up on itunes and taking forever deleting and re-adding music?????

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure this is unchecked:

iTunes > Preferences > Advanced:

[​IMG]

3. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm way beyond that trust me. Itunes is an evil demon that plays tricks all the times. After moving stuff around I have to switch the location back to the external Itunes cannot remember the path. The first 6 cds went fine I never stopped the importing yet the other 6 miraculously ended up on the laptop not the external. The question now is how to get them to the external, with the least amount of work.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

No. iTunes does not play any tricks. It's obvious you messed something up.

To use iTunes on external, you need to make sure external drive is connected first before launching iTunes. You also need to turn off auto-downloads, such as podcasts, etc.

iTunes works perfectly for me. Been using bus-powered external raid to store my music for over 5 years.

5. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

Been using it for 9 years on external now as a DJ tool. I have had all sorts of problems. Including itunes copying my entire music collection once over, that was a 600GB catastrophe. Itunes has crashed several times, music playlists lost, along with starred music referencing edits. The list goes on. If you want to criticize save you breath. If you want to offer suggestions on the original question please feel free to contribute.
    How can I get the music to my external without messing it up on itunes and taking forever deleting and re-adding music?????

6. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

A new issue has come up. This spreads across a couple threads I have started.
    Here is what has happened. I just moved all Itunes Music to another HD reformatted the one they stay on and moved them back. Now all data is stored on HSF+ formatted HDs. The first question will become mute once the entire issue comes to light but i will restate it anyways. The first question was having issues with a couple gigs of Itunes music stored on my internal Macbook HD and moving it to the external with the least amount of work. Following now with the second question, Alot of my music cannot link through itunes. It is there as I went and found a couple of songs and relinked them. I have around 10,000 to go. Ridiculous, I know. The question becomes can I delete all music out of Itunes with the copy to HD selector off and reload my itunes by drag and drop my Itunes folder into an empty itunes????? Itunes has always been frustrating for me and I really have terrible luck with it for whatever reason. Every new update, I only do 1 out of every 5, tries to reload and copy once over the music already in Itunes. You might think just update surely that wil help, I have had to many bad results with that. With DJ season in full steam I cant risk making things worse. One update it was either the first version 9 or 10 put a 5 second lag in between every song. Thats just unacceptable and risky. I have looked at other software and I am still up for suggestions on that but itunes finds songs quick. Plus I have to use it anyways with my Iphone. Any help is greatly appreciated.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes. I have my iTunes library split between my internal and an external drive, since it won't all fit on my internal. Here's how it works:

1. Create a new iTunes library by holding the Option key down while launching iTunes.
    2. Go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced
    3. Select your iTunes Media folder location (can be either internal or external drive)
    4. Uncheck "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"
    5. Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"
    6. In iTunes, select File > Add to Library and select any folder, internal or external, to add
    7. Repeat step 6 as necessary

8. slothrob macrumors 6502

I believe that a lot of your problems would be solved by checking the box allowing iTunes to organize your files. Not checking this box is usually the cause of having files scattered around everywhere.

Then, menubar>File>Library>Organize Library>Consolidate Files, should solve your problem. That should move copies of your files to the external disk, if that's chosen as your iTunes Media folder location under Preferences>Advanced. Then you can erase the old files from your internal disk.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Read this to understand more about how iTunes stores the library.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Most of the problems people have with iTunes are related to not understanding that and fighting how iTunes wants to do it.

Ideally you want your library (database) and media folder (content) on the same drive to avoid the dreaded yellow exclamation point you have run into.

B

10. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

Most of this stuff from the article I know or have learned the hard way through trial and error, sure wish I saw this a few years ago. My concern is file consolidation, this has almost ruined my itunes many times because it made a second copy of everything and put it into itunes. So 300GB turned into 600GB. And every song was doubled in itunes. Atleast one entire collection was perfect, while half of the other worked. So you had a 2 and 3 chance of hitting a song that would play, good odds. But, when DJing is not good enough. Speaking of I have a gig new years im hoping to resolve all of this by. I always keep both boxes checked. At this point, it seems, its time to start it all over and lay waste to my playlists and get it straightened out. My brother and I learned you can save playlists to an excel file so atleast you know what you had, helpful for DJing.
    So what to do. Im very apprehensive about using the consolidate. Do i need to upgrade to media organization? I have an external drive and want everything there. I want Itunes to turn on when I tell it to, still have problems with it being default player. Should I delete everything from Itunes, not put files in trash. Reload itunes from my ITUNES MUSIC folder on my external, by dropping entire file into itunes. or what??
    Thanks for the help.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This isn't necessary. The only thing you need to remember is to make sure any external drive is mounted before you launch iTunes. That way, the exclamation marks won't appear.
    That's why you end up with duplicate files. Uncheck them and manage your library yourself, rather than letting iTunes do it.
    No problem. Just make sure the drive is mounted before you launch iTunes.
    Did you see the 7-step process I posted? That will achieve what you want. You may still have some duplicates after that process, which you can eliminate from within iTunes.

As I said, I have my library split, with some files on the internal and some on an external drive. When I launch iTunes without the external, I get exclamation marks by the files that reside on the external, but I expect that, since I'm not trying to play those. When I attach the external, I close and reopen iTunes and the exclamation marks go away. I've never had any problem with unwanted duplicates or missing files.

12. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know they are there. I'm trying to show you how to get rid of them.
    That is exactly what the 7-step process I posted will correct.
    Obviously not, or you wouldn't have the problems that exist now.
    iTunes never launches unless you make it launch. You can control whether it launches or not.
    You misread the process. It's not about moving songs from the internal to the external. It's about building a clean iTunes library, regardless of where the files are.
    Go back and follow the steps I posted. You will have a new iTunes library with no exclamation marks.

14. balamw, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Having the iTunes Library File (ITL) on the external drive helps in this respect 'cause you can't load the database without the content being available. So, I agree not necessary, or sufficient, but definitely useful.

I do wonder how iTunes stores the absolute path on OS X, and if (for example) changing the Volume label (drive name) or mount point can affect iTunes and if something like this could be contributing to the OPs problems. This is another reason to keep them together as relative paths are easier to resolve.

Fundamentally there are two schools of thought. One, espoused by slothrob and myself is to let iTunes be iTunes, while the other which you represent is let me tell iTunes where to put stuff. One strives to use iTunes tags and features while the other doesn't. Your 7 step process would kill me, as I extensively make use smart playlists that make use of playcounts, last played times, dates added, ratings, etc... Creating a new library would be the last thing I would want to do. I don't know where the OP lies in this spectrum.

B

15. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

Go back and follow the steps I posted. You will have a new iTunes library with no exclamation marks.

Did you see the 7-step process I posted? That will achieve what you want. You may still have some duplicates after that process, which you can eliminate from within iTunes.

You misread the process. It's not about moving songs from the internal to the external. It's about building a clean iTunes library, regardless of where the files are.

Ok im doing this first thing in the morning. 2 things: why will it create duplicates? Before I do this should I move (manually in finder) all music to the external hardrive before doing this, therefore only having to do it once?

16. GGJstudios, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Understand that step 7 says to repeat only step 6 as necessary. If you have all your music files in one place, you never have to repeat step 6. If you have your library on 3 different drives or folders, you need to perform step 6 to add each drive or folder. I agree that creating a new library is a big deal and you will lose playlists, etc. in the process. However, it is appropriate for the OP, given the problems they're experiencing.
    It will only create duplicates if you have the same music files stored in 2 different places. Some duplicates may be desired, as you might have two different versions of a song by the same artist, or the same song appears on multiple albums by the same artist. Only you can determine whether a duplicate is desired or not, but you can make that determination from within iTunes after you have rebuilt your library.
    That's a good idea. If it all resides in one folder (with as many sub-folders as you need), then you only have to do step 6 one time, adding that folder to your newly-created library.

By the way, when you want to quote someone, use the [​IMG] button. If you want to respond to separate statements within their quote, simply copy their entire quote and paste it as many times as you need. Then go back and delete all but the first statement within the first quote (be sure not to delete anything inside the brackets [ ]) and insert your response after the [/QUOTE] which ends their statement. Do the same for each statement you want to respond to. It makes your responses easier to read if you use the quote function. If you want to respond to multiple people in one post, click the [​IMG] on each post you want to quote and then click [​IMG] at the top of the thread.

17. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

And it begins. To me this is the same thing as deleting everything and replacing music by dropping in itunes music folder. Regardless Im hoping for the best. Obviously "copy music" will be re-checked after this. Should "Itunes manage music" be re-checked? I figure the "adding files" will take around 4-5 hours. Thanks again for the help.

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's up to you, but I prefer to leave both of those unchecked. To add music to iTunes
    1. Move new music files to your existing music folder
    2. Within iTunes, select File > Add to Library and select the folder(s) you just moved into your music folder.
    There's no copying and no need for iTunes to manage anything. All you have to do is make sure you always put new music in your existing music folder, then add those files to iTunes.

19. 6Jetwrangler thread starter macrumors newbie

An update, It is just now analyzing the songs. So I was right on the money with 4-5 hours to accomplish this feat. I like letting Itunes copy it to the external I just need to make sure with every CD or file the external is still plugged in. I think on the 6 CDs that were left out was due to the external getting bumped and no longer connecting. So I plan on still using the "copy music" selection. Still had some hiccups to clear up. 4 1/2 CDs are missing that I just added. Thank the good Lord above for the backup I made. Thanks again for all the help.