Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
okay guys, if i want to reinstall snow leopard, ill do an erase and install but heres the question, in itunes, when i first imported my mp3s, the titles and artist names were all messed up so manually one by one i made them all correct and nice, now , is there a way i can copy the files from the itunes folder to an external harddrive so i can just copy them over on the new os or the titles and artist names are not embedded in the mp3 files?

and a question about archive and install, if i do an archive and install instead of erase and install, is EVERYTHING in my documents , Downloads folder going to stay exactly the same as it is now or some stuff will get removed?

Jolly Giant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
okay guys, if i want to reinstall snow leopard, ill do an erase and install but heres the question, in itunes, when i first imported my mp3s, the titles and artist names were all messed up so manually one by one i made them all correct and nice, now , is there a way i can copy the files from the itunes folder to an external harddrive so i can just copy them over on the new os or the titles and artist names are not embedded in the mp3 files?

use the 2nd option in this support article, then copy the iTunes folder back following the reinstall.

and a question about archive and install, if i do an archive and install instead of erase and install, is EVERYTHING in my documents , Downloads folder going to stay exactly the same as it is now or some stuff will get removed?

there is no A&I option in SL but you can choose to "keep settings ..." (or something along that line) that will leave everything intact and just replaces OS X.

Dresevski

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2011
Minnesnowda
If you just have iTunes organize your music folder and everything is correct in the program then all you need to do is move the files you want to the external. Pretty simple process for someone claiming to want the benefit of a SSD!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.