iTunes Question

Tutone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I had moved my iTunes Library to External Hard Drive which was erased by mistake how do I recover my music media since iTunes was depended on it and cannot locate any files now,should I purchase something like Data Rescue 3 ?Thanks

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you got Apple Care, go make an appointment with Apple. Otherwise describe step by step of what you did.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
In Additon

If you got Apple Care, go make an appointment with Apple. Otherwise describe step by step of what you did.
Was this music purchased? In which case it can be recovered. Hdd recovery @ Anywhere cost's an arm, leg and kidney(s)

If you have to re-rip, well...Buy a NAS storage device next time.

Last edited:

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
And be sure to back-up next time. If my iTunes external HDD died today, I already have that drive backed-up on my Time Machine HDD and now also in the Cloud with iTunes Match. :cool:

I would be back up-and-running in probably 30 minutes.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Apples not going to recover an erased drive for you. A data recovery service can but it's $$$$.

ReRip & Backup, also embrace iTunes Match as you would still have some of your music safely in the cloud.

Tutone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2011
I do have a Time Machine back up on a seperate HD but not sure how to restore it to iTunes

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I do have a Time Machine back up on a seperate HD but not sure how to restore it to iTunes
Assuming you had TM back up that drive I think it's as easy as going into TM and choosing to Restore and then choosing which drive/backup to use and the destination. When I did this, my brand new drive was named the same as the previous one, so there was nothing else for me to do once it was done...meaning iTunes was already pointed to the correctly named location once the restoration was complete. To iTunes, nothing had changed.

It's been several months so I don't recall the whole process. Perhaps someone else has recently restored a non-system drive from backup recently and can comment?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.