iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tutone, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Tutone macrumors newbie

I had moved my iTunes Library to External Hard Drive which was erased by mistake how do I recover my music media since iTunes was depended on it and cannot locate any files now,should I purchase something like Data Rescue 3 ?Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could certainly try, but it's probably not going to recover everything.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you got Apple Care, go make an appointment with Apple. Otherwise describe step by step of what you did.

4. Macman45, Nov 17, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In Additon

Was this music purchased? In which case it can be recovered. Hdd recovery @ Anywhere cost's an arm, leg and kidney(s)

If you have to re-rip, well...Buy a NAS storage device next time.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

And be sure to back-up next time. If my iTunes external HDD died today, I already have that drive backed-up on my Time Machine HDD and now also in the Cloud with iTunes Match. :cool:

I would be back up-and-running in probably 30 minutes.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apples not going to recover an erased drive for you. A data recovery service can but it's $$$$.

ReRip & Backup, also embrace iTunes Match as you would still have some of your music safely in the cloud.

7. Tutone thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a Time Machine back up on a seperate HD but not sure how to restore it to iTunes

8. mstrze macrumors 68000

Assuming you had TM back up that drive I think it's as easy as going into TM and choosing to Restore and then choosing which drive/backup to use and the destination. When I did this, my brand new drive was named the same as the previous one, so there was nothing else for me to do once it was done...meaning iTunes was already pointed to the correctly named location once the restoration was complete. To iTunes, nothing had changed.

It's been several months so I don't recall the whole process. Perhaps someone else has recently restored a non-system drive from backup recently and can comment?