iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Prohybe, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

I had some files, some TV shows episodes that i ripped from the series original dvd, over my HP. i transferred the files to my mac and when i try to put them on iTunes or just add them to there, nothing happens, i can't add the files. Any suggestions?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What kind of files are they? Generally you can't just drag and drop movie files into iTunes and have them play. You probably have to convert them into an iTunes-friendly format.

3. simsaladimbamba

Tell us, what format they are in, or use VideoSpec (I prefer that, though it hasn't been updated since 11/2009), MediaInfo Mac (10/2010) or MediaInfo (4/2011, there is a Mac OS X version to download, VideoSpec and MediaInfo Mac are using the same library as MediaInfo) to analyse a sample file and attach the report to your next post.
    Not every format can be easily dragged into iTunes.

4. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

i used a file i downloaded a while ago from megaupload. here it is

Attached Files:

5. simsaladimbamba

That is a RealMedia file, playable by the RealPlayer or maybe even VLC Player.

You can use HandBrake to transcode the .rmvb file to a format iTunes accepts. Use one of the presets, Universal should be fine.
    I just tested your file, and VLC Player can play it. Transcoding via Handbrake takes around ten minutes on my 2007 iMac with 2 GHz.

6. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for the help

7. simsaladimbamba

No problem. Did HandBrake work? For me it stays at 100% for a long time, I just paused it. Maybe you have to use VLC and its Streaming/Transcode wizard first and then HandBrake.

8. Prohybe, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

Still testing it out. But i've been thinking, i have tons of files like this one, if i have to convert each file when i download i'm damned XD. I think i might just get a folder with the episodes and watch them on VLC .

When using handbrake, how do i turn the file into something readable by iTunes?