ITunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsf721, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

We have really become a very applied out family. My 2 sons each have a desk top, I have a desk top, laptop and iPad. All have the iTunes loaded. I noticed that ever since that we are out of users. Why won't apple let us create another user (even for a 1x charge). I purchased this music or loaded it off owned cd's.

Is there something I am missing? My son will be getting a MacBook for college and then we will be faced with buying all the music again?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

All music bought on iTunes is now DRM free, as is the music you ripped.

You don't need to tie iTunes (authorize) to your iTunes Store account unless you need to buy music from the store.

B

3. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

So we can share music from one computer to another past 5 computers? If my older son adds a song he can transfer it to my younger and I don't have to pay 2times?

Thanks in advance for the answer. I am not to this and don't understand all the terminology and abbreviations.

Thanks

4. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Yes. Two ways of doing it. The clean way is to de-authorize 1 of your 5 machines and then authorize the new one. Set up home sharing and then import everything you want that is DRM-free into the new machine. When you're done, you should be able to unauthorize the new box and reauthorize the other one, and there you are.

The other way is to just directly import the .m4a files from one of your iTunes setups into the new machine. It works, but you may lose any downloaded album covers and other statistics/setting associated with the music.

I've done it both ways, either works, but importing iTunes to iTunes through home sharing is the best method.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If you have a lot of DRM music, you could sign up once for iTunes match to upgrade it all. Or keep the subscription and be able to stream/download at will and keep everything in sync. I think there is a 10 device limit.

6. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

What is match exact ally and how much does it cost ?