itunes question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Pwpw, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Pwpw macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Hope this is the right place for this.
    I have a large amount of music in my itunes. Most of it burned off of cds now sold.
    I have found an alarming amount of duplication of the same tracks in itunes.
    Is there a program I can run my itunes through to eliminate the duplicates.
    I tried a small sample of music files run through several different programs a few years ago.
    But they would eliminate the same track by the same band even if one was a live version with a completely different length.

Are there better/more sensitive programs out there now?
    Thanks,
    Pwpw
    -I'm looking at 800GB of music.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Did you use the Display Duplicates option in iTunes?

3. Pwpw thread starter macrumors newbie

I have used the 'display duplicates' in the past. My experience is that it will enable you to identify and erase the duplicates in itunes display.
    Once again if I simply delete all duplicates, it will:
    1. erase every duplicate it sees, including same song by same band even if the length of song is different. As in a live version vs. studio version.
    2. it will not erase the duplicates on the HD 'itunes repository' from which itunes pulls it information/songs.

I want to go to my HD's itunes/itunes media/music and go into that folder and eliminate all true duplicates.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just hope there is some way I will not have to go into my itunes/itunes media/music folder and manually go thru every artist/album and erase every duplicate.
    Pwpw

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

when you delete from iTunes you can select to move the file to the trash as well