itunes question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Pwpw, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Pwpw macrumors newbie

May 22, 2011
    Hope this is the right place for this.
    I have a large amount of music in my itunes. Most of it burned off of cds now sold.
    I have found an alarming amount of duplication of the same tracks in itunes.
    Is there a program I can run my itunes through to eliminate the duplicates.
    I tried a small sample of music files run through several different programs a few years ago.
    But they would eliminate the same track by the same band even if one was a live version with a completely different length.

Are there better/more sensitive programs out there now?
    -I'm looking at 800GB of music.
  2. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Did you use the Display Duplicates option in iTunes?
  3. Pwpw thread starter macrumors newbie

May 22, 2011
    I have used the 'display duplicates' in the past. My experience is that it will enable you to identify and erase the duplicates in itunes display.
    Once again if I simply delete all duplicates, it will:
    1. erase every duplicate it sees, including same song by same band even if the length of song is different. As in a live version vs. studio version.
    2. it will not erase the duplicates on the HD 'itunes repository' from which itunes pulls it information/songs.

I want to go to my HD's itunes/itunes media/music and go into that folder and eliminate all true duplicates.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just hope there is some way I will not have to go into my itunes/itunes media/music folder and manually go thru every artist/album and erase every duplicate.
  4. PAPO macrumors 6502

Aug 24, 2009
    when you delete from iTunes you can select to move the file to the trash as well