iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HenryHealy, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HenryHealy macrumors member

Hello, I will soon be buying a MacBook Air with a 128GB SSD. Now considering that there is not a lot of space on it, I plan to use an external hard drive for my media for iTunes (movies at least anyway).

How do you get iTunes to recognise that the external drive is the main one for iTunes? Or can you do it?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

in the iTunes settings you tell it where the library is. But make sure you have the library available when launching iTunes!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You may want to consider splitting your iTunes library, keeping your favorite music on your internal drive so it's available when you're mobile, with the rest on the external drive.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Or you could depending on model slap it on a 32/64gb low profile sdcard

5. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

This is exactly what I was thinking

6. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I've been doing this for the past 5 years with my old MacBook. It can be a hassle, but it works well. Since the advent of iTunes Match, I've been relaxed knowing that I can now download my purchases directly to my iPhone and not have to worry about having to hook up my external to my MacBook and then send the songs to my iPhone.

7. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

8. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

iTunes match

You may want to consider iTunes match for this situation. I just went from a 500 GB macbook pro to an macbook air 128

I have around 11,000 songs. 80 GB.

I basically downloaded my top 2500 songs to my mac around 18 GB and the rest is in the cloud. I still have 20 GB free on my macbook air including all my programs, music, around 10 good quality movies, and a virtual machine thanks to iTunes match.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While it may be appropriate for many, there are a few drawbacks to iTunes match which makes it unsuitable for some. First, the 25,000 song limit is a barrier. Second, the fact that you burn up so much data usage. Third, it won't help if you have no internet connection. I prefer to keep my music library out of Apple's hands. I'm sure many will find it useful, but it won't work for me.

10. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

I do have iTunes Match which is going to be so handy for downloading my music. I'm mainly looking to split my iTunes as I currently have over 100GB of movies plus apps then.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yep. The link in post #3 will fix you up.

12. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Those are all true, however not very many people have over 25000 songs, 2nd, Unless your on a mobile broadband most iso are unlimted, so what does it matter, and Most of the time, you have Internet Access where ever you are, and if you don't you still have the songs you already downloaded on your device.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, "While it may be appropriate for many, there are a few drawbacks to iTunes match which makes it unsuitable for some." Some of us do have large libraries and some of us don't have unlimited data plans.

14. HenryHealy thread starter macrumors member

iTunes Match is perfect for me though as I only have about 1,200 songs and unlimited internet at home.

So, just untick those two boxes and that's how you can split the folders. I didn't think it was that easy.