iTunes question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beachmusic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. beachmusic macrumors regular

beachmusic

When I rip some of my older vinyl and add it to iTunes on my iMac it doesn't show up on my iPad or iPhone in the music app. But all the music I purchase from apple does. Why is this?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You have to setup the devices to sync local music to begin with on the summary page of each in iTunes. On iOS, the Music app shows your iTunes purchases by default.

Screen Shot 2016-09-15 at 4.04.38 PM.png

3. beachmusic thread starter macrumors regular

beachmusic

So if I got this right. The only way to have my ripped music on my ios devices is to load the actual tunes on the ios device. Which means I will run out of room before I will get it all loaded. Why is it not treated like the purchased tunes which take up no room?

4. Jessica Lares, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yep. "iTunes in the Cloud" is complementary and is for the stuff you purchase from the store. If you want your ripped media in the cloud you have to subscribe to iTunes Match for $24.99 a year (if you're interested, note that this could replace your vinyl rips if it finds the digital version of them).

5. beachmusic thread starter macrumors regular

beachmusic

Thanks Jess

OBTW I do have 200gig of iCloud space. Would this not help with the ripped music?

6. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

No, the iOS Music App cannot read from your iCloud folder.

Although you might be able to find a third party music app that can. In saying that I have never heard of one that does, but it might be interesting to find out.