iTunes Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by unknown87, Nov 4, 2007.

1. unknown87 macrumors regular

When I look at iTunes, the app says I have 9.53GB of music, but in the actually iTunes library folder (stored on my external drive), it says I have 19GB on music...

What's going on?!

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if i had to guess, i'd say your itunes is making a copy of your music and placing it in the itunes folder of your music folder. untick the checkbox in the preferences and delete the extra files.

Attached Files:

3. unknown87 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm...no thats not it. I only have one copy of everything...Anyone else?

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Open up your iTunes folder and add it up for yourself. Do you have album artwork? That can easily take up more room than the music itself

5. unknown87 thread starter macrumors regular

But why would there be such a huge contrast in size? I have zero album artwork either...

6. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Does that figure include any videos that you may have. If you have 'Music' selected from the Library then it won't show any videos/movies that you have managed by iTunes.

Of course if you knew that already then perhaps you just have 2 copies of every single song in your library? Sorry I can't be any more help.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe post a screenshot of your itunes library, and a shot of the folder in the external, then maybe we can help more

8. unknown87 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, here are two screen grabs...I don't know if this will help, but its worth a shot right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

If you only have music, with no album covers, in iTunes then the difference must be all the indexing (artist, album, etc.) and whatever metadata is associated with your music (track, etc.). No matter how you backup it should only appear once on your backup drive. If 19GB is a substantial portion of your drive, it is time for a larger drive. Best wishes.

10. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Is it possible that there is stuff in that folder which is not in your library? Like other files hidden in there somewhere? you may have saved something there which is not music or iTunes related? If it's a huge deal, Maybe you should go through the folders in the iTunes music folder and see if any of them are unusually large.

Sorry for the obvious response...

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12