iTunes Questions/Concerns

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Traveler5, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Traveler5 macrumors newbie

I have an iPod Touch and many times when I sync it to iTunes I'll occasionally get this message that asks me if I want to up-date to the latest version of iTunes. When I click yes it goes through this lengthy process each time of getting the data, downloading it to my computer, then I have to install it and then the update is done. The whole process takes a lot of time to do. Is there another way of getting iTunes updates other than having to go through this drawn-out process? And why does Apple do it this way every time you want to up-date iTunes? It's a real inconvenience and not something I have to do with other applications.

Another question I have, and maybe it's just my computer, but whenever I click on my iTunes icon to open up iTunes it takes what seems to be forever for iTunes to open. It's this way on both my home computer and my work computer at work. Why is this? Is iTunes just slow to pull up? At home I have a 3.0 DSL connection and at work it's a T1 line.

One last question about the slowness of iTunes, whenever I try to access the iTunes store it, again, takes a long time to open up. What's the story about that?

I appreciate your input.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) iTunes is an Application, as a result there is no "upgrade" but a "replacement" and supporting files have to be located and updated.

2) The time it takes to open iTunes is directly connected to how much RAM you have, the speed of the processor and hard drive, and how large the Library is. I run iTunes on a PowerBook G4 667, with 1GB of RAM with a 20GB iTunes Library, it takes about 30 seconds to start. If it takes longer than that, you need to defrag, or get iTunes to Consolidate your library. It has nothing to do with your Internet connection.

3) Likely due to the above reasons, plus your network connection and the general slowness of the iTunes Store since the opening of the App Store. Hopefully they get to upgrading the iTunes Servers before Christmas.

TEG

3. Traveler5 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I find it odd, then, that my old computer had 2GB of RAM, my new iMac only has 1GB. The music libraries were the exact same size...yet the computer with 2GB of RAM took a good minute or so to load, while it loads almost instantly on the iMac.

...then again my other computer WAS using Windows ;)