Itunes questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Atypical, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Atypical macrumors newbie

1. Once I drag music from my download folder to itunes, can I delete it in the download folder or will that delete them permanently?
    2. My HD is getting close to being full and when I try to drag music to itunes, I am getting an error message saying itunes will copy as many songs as it can but space is limited. I have tried, through itunes, exporting my music to an external HD, but for some reason, this isn't working. Any suggestions around this?

thank you

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Depends whether you have "copy to iTunes music folder" enabled in iTunes>Preferences>Advanced. Point number 2 implies that you do.

Do it manually via Finder.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You Could reduce

The file six by ticking the radio box "Convert to AAC" It kind of depends on how fussy you are about the quality of your music....I don't reduce the files myself as I prefer the higher quality format.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yes, AAC files are "compact" but I was told they were higher quality. That is, higher quality than aiff files, which is the default file type when I record from my stereo to my Mac. So, is the reason to convert aiff to AAC really related to file size instead of quality?

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

ACC is not higher quality than AIFF. AIFF is a lossless format. ACC is a lossy format. ACC is higher quality than MP3 at the same bitrate, but is always lower quality than a lossless format.

I high bit rate MP3 may be higher quality than a low bitrate ACC file. a high bitrate ACC file is pretty good quality.

If you want a smaller lossless format, you can use the Apple Lossless Codec in iTunes.

AIFF, .wav and apple lossless are the same quality. You cannot get "higher" quality than any of them ebcause they are lossless formats.

The only reason to use ACC or really anything other than AIFF is file size.