Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

A source has tipped us off to a pending update to iTunes and QuickTime that may be arriving around Macworld.

QuickTime 7.4 will include mainly bug fixes and security patches and support for the new version of iTunes. However, the details of the new version of iTunes remains under wraps at this time.

It should be noted, however, that Apple often has to update iTunes to support extensive feature updates in existing products, or when supporting new products.

Thanks, iPhoneGuy

Article Link

Retired
May 16, 2006
Argh! With the recently abandoned development of Quicksilver, I'm desperate for the new version of iTunes to work with it.

As long as its fast to start up, that is all I want from iTunes, and I hardly use QT. Although, it would be nice to have video playing in the dock again...

Comment

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Wonder if it will push iTunes to version 8.

If it provided support for using iPhone/touch/something new to be used as a controller for airtunes or the ability to stream to said devices then I think going to 8 would be worthy.

Comment

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wonder if it will push iTunes to version 8.

If it provided support for using iPhone/touch/something new to be used as a controller for airtunes or the ability to stream to said devices then I think going to 8 would be worthy.

I think it will support video rentals with an update to AppleTV with new AppleTV's being released too (remember Steve said in August there was an update to AppleTV coming soon on the software side - we have yet to see it - I think because of NBC and Movie Studio issues.)

Comment

notnek

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Maybe one thing will be addressing the bug some people have ran across with 7.5 and leopard. CD's only playing 2-3 songs then freezing the whole app.

Comment

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm betting on movie rentals myself and will be happy to see it.

Comment

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
I would say that if it's true it's probably to introduce a movie rental service. But I think that Apple would announce it either quietly or at it's own event, and not at a Macworld.

But what do I know?

:p

Comment

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Macworld sounds to me, however, like a good moment to announce ITMR (iTunes Movie Rental) and some new consumer hardware (ultraportable).

Comment

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
I would say that if it's true it's probably to introduce a movie rental service. But I think that Apple would announce it either quietly or at it's own event, and not at a Macworld.

But what do I know?

:p
apple spent a whole macworld on the iphone and no mac products so yeah :rolleyes:

Comment

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hopefully with this update iTunes will close when I tell it to, not shortly after.

Perhaps may see the iTunes WiFi Store on the AppleTV.

Comment

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I think it will support video rentals with an update to AppleTV with new AppleTV's being released too (remember Steve said in August there was an update to AppleTV coming soon on the software side - we have yet to see it - I think because of NBC and Movie Studio issues.)

Same, I'm aiming for video rentals.

Comment

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Fixing coverart displayed on ipod touches when going landscape to be just the art for that category/list not the whole of the library.

Options to see podcasts in video from the podcasts directory not just the movies one.

Being able to update podcasts with just the ipod touch and wireless not requiring a mac - just like itunes purchases.

Audio recording with touch.

Email on touch.

Google earth/maps on touch.

Being able to cut and paste on touch/iphone.

Some of the things I would like to see in an update.

Comment

zenmonkey

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Some Pretty Obvious Features

Okay here's my 2¢

Macworld will be around the time of the iPhone Dev Kit release so the update will obviously include application Support for the iPhone.

Probably tighter integration with quicktime as that already seams to be the direction things are heading.​

Oh and Rivix, ask and you shall receive check your iTunes store. Canada has TV shows, only about 12 but thats something. If you want more talk to the CRTC :)

Comment

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
What would really be nice if they fully merged the quicktime player into itunes.

I'd have thought that would be too much stuff to put into itunes - there's a surprising amount of quicktime pro editing stuff in there. For simple viewing of course there's now quicklook - with fullscreen without pro as well!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.