iTunes radio links not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dbit, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dbit macrumors regular

Ok, so since updating my itunes a couple months ago I just noticed that my radio stations that I have sorted into playlists are no longer playing when I double click them or right click and choose "play station".

Anyone else having this issue? If I find the same station in the iTunes radio directory it will play just fine. What gives?

2. electric macrumors regular

Noticing the same thing. Worked fine yesterday. Radio must be down for some reason.

3. lakotahope macrumors newbie

ITunes Radio links Are Not Working

This started yesterday. None of my links are working on XP box. All worked previously. Any ideas? I'm going to uninstall Itunes and reinstall an earlier version just for kicks.

4. K0BI macrumors newbie

I found that all the stations I had saved to my playlist no longer exist on the master list of radio stations on iTunes. The stations that were on the main list would play though. Maybe their contracts weren't renewed?

5. electric macrumors regular

Thanks KOBI! That was the issue for me. I went from :-( to :)

6. JKFiceland macrumors newbie

Saved iTunes Radio Stations Not Playing

I've been experiencing the same issue over the last 2 days. None of my saved radio stations would work. However, I found that the same radio station played under "radio" in the iTunes library. So, I deleted the station link in my saved playlist and simply dragged them over again. And they now work.

7. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Same problem. No stations working as playlists but they do work when accessed directly on iTunes.

8. cusp2011 macrumors newbie

cusp2011

No CSPAN radio

C-SPAN radio is gone. Lots of conservative radio and Canadian news radio though.

9. K0BI macrumors newbie

As I continued to troubleshoot this, I found that some of my saved radio stations had actually changed their name, so the "shortcut" on my playlist no longer worked. I did find a site, 181.FM, that has a wide variety of music and will open radio channels in iTunes that aren't listed there in the first place. Use the Winamp/iTunes tab at the top of the site.

10. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

I mean, it's every radio station in my playlists.

The names of most stations I use have not changed. I can only assume the stream url's have, but if iTunes can update them in the station listings I would hope that would populate into the station listings referenced in playlists.

This makes the whole idea of putting favorite stations into playlists pointless as I do this to save myself time and frustration, not cause more!

11. eddievazool macrumors newbie

radio stations no longer work in my saved playlists

this is a nightmare... I had so many great stations saved and now i have to go find them again? apple ... what have you done? :confused:

12. blu3shift3r macrumors newbie

oh well

Yes, that is the issue - the links have all changed somehow. Not sure if this is a shoutcast or itunes problem... but oh well.

On the bright side, while trying to re-find my playlist saved radio stations, I ran across a bunch of new ones that are banging out some killer tunes right now, so all in all not a bad deal.

13. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but that's like saying "my car got stolen, but it's not all bad, I'm getting some exercise walking to work!" :p

I wish there would be some resolution to this but I believe that's a pipe dream.

14. ryantherhino macrumors newbie

Here's what I've found...

It looks like Apple, until earlier this month, operated a redirect service to get analytical data of what radio stations people were listening to. These redirects now give 404 errors.

My favorite station had the URL (view in the info pane, ⌘+I):

http://pri.kts-af.net/redir/index.p...5427a6891669455467e&url_no=1&client_id=7&uid=[removed]&clicksrc=xml

Luckily I found it still listed in the iTunes radio directory, with a direct URL:

http://stream.hitparty.net:8000

So, Apple is likely saving some money by no longer operating the redirect service, while giving up radio station analytics, unless it's now built into iTunes.

15. yomark macrumors newbie

Brand New to this Forum

I joined here for the very reason of this discussion. MY experience is getting NO CONNECTION AT ALL, whether I go to my saved, radio station playlists, or go to the Radio option to try an launch a station.

Having read the discussion above, I STILL think it's one and/or both of the following facts (in my case): 1) I'm on dial-up (although iTunes radio has worked for me fine up until now), and/or 2) I'm on too-old software. I can't afford to purchase OSX 10.5, and I've updated 10.4.11 as far as it's still supported. I've upgraded iTunes from an old version 7 to 8.0.2 (thinking that I had to do it in steps, and not simply "jump" to iTunes 10). I beleive the specs for the latest iTunes requires system 10.5 as a minimum.

Genius will not work on my presently-configured system either, When I try to connect to the iTunes store through iTunes 8, it just gives me the following message:

"Your request could not be completed. Make sure your computer's date is set correctly, and that it accepts cookies from the iTunes Music Store. For detailed solutions to resolve this issue, click "more info".

Does anyone know if the iTunes radio or store is still accessible with a dial-up connection?

16. aerowave macrumors member

Yep this appears to be it here too. It appears all the URLS are now direct... Got to update all my library links to keep my play counts!

(You can do this if you add the new station to a playlist, do 'Get Info' (Cmd+I), then 'Edit URL', and copy the link. Then do the same for your library version, pasting the new link over the old one. Then the library item will work!

17. dbit thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm, so I have to go hunt down the direct link for my 200 randomly collected radio stations and copy paste them into my sorted playlist?

Thanks apple! :apple:

18. yomark, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012

yomark macrumors newbie

What you guys are talking about is a bit over my head, but I DID discover the following: I went to some alternate sources for the stations I listen to (mostly standup comedy) like Showcast, and found all but one there. Some stations had me download a playlist for iTunes, rather than open a player right then and there. When I tried the playlists I'd aquired that way on iTunes, they worked. However, nothing with a bit rate under 64 seems to work anymore.

I still get the problem I mentioned above when I try to activate a genre in the "Radio" portion of iTunes, so I don't know what's up with that (unless it's what you guys are talking about above, but I don't think so)

Anyway, since my software is so out of date, and I'm on dial-up still, I expect problems………………

Thanks for the heads-up on Shoutcast; at least I can get my stations again, even if it's NOT through iTunes.