Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iTunes Radio May Be Coming Soon to Canada

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iTunes Radio, Apple's streaming music service that debuted alongside iOS 7, is currently limited to users in the United States. That may change in the near future, however, as Apple appears to be preparing to launch the service in Canada.

Apple recently added a new job listing (via 9to5Mac) seeking an iTunes Canada Music Programmer, who will be responsible for overseeing the programming of iTunes Radio in Canada.
The Canadian Music Programmer will be responsible for the programming of iTunes Radio and the iTunes Music store in Canada. This particular role will report directly to the Head of Music for the Canadian iTunes store, and will be responsible for working cross-functionally across a variety of teams including Editorial, Label Relations, Marketing, Sales, Production & Engineering, and more.

The Canadian Music Programmer will be an editorial voice of iTunes Radio, and will be responsible for keeping the product current. This person must have a passion for and deep knowledge of music across numerous genres and decades, and must demonstrate the ability to objectively program content relevant to iTunes customers.
Job responsibilities for the position include identifying and promoting new songs and priority releases, highlighting content, and managing the weekly scheduling and programming process.

Apple's first music service, iTunes Match, also debuted exclusively in the United States back in November of 2011 before rolling out to international markets a month later.

Though Apple has not hinted at a timeline for the international availability of iTunes Radio, it is possible that the rollout of the service could follow a similar timeline, becoming available over the coming months as Apple negotiates licensing deals for each country.

According to Apple's senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue, bringing iTunes Radio to the rest of the world is a top priority for the company, and it is aiming to be in "more than 100 countries."

Article Link: iTunes Radio May Be Coming Soon to Canada

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Made a fake American account for the time being, but it's a hassle having to switch back and forth every time I want to listen on that account and then buy content on my real account.

Comment

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Need to improve current radio... Some of the generated stations are just awful.

Example: Sam Kinison radio plays regular songs from 50's crooners randomly. I have my Massive Attack radio set to NOT play Morcheeba - guess what gets played regularly?

Comment

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
As above, iTunes Radio works fine in Canada if you create and sign in to a US iTunes account.

And for people whinging about switching accounts, do you buy something every day? Not any trouble at all really.

Comment

TomMcIn

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
CRTC Involvement

Hope Canada's Canadian Radio and Television Commission - the dreaded CRTC - does not get involved and delay the service.

Comment

bradbear

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
What about the rest of the world? Im sure us aussies would like this feature.

Comment

ampfonseca

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2013
Need to improve current radio... Some of the generated stations are just awful.

Example: Sam Kinison radio plays regular songs from 50's crooners randomly. I have my Massive Attack radio set to NOT play Morcheeba - guess what gets played regularly?

I've got some bad experiences with iTunes radio too. Sometimes it decides to play the same song two times in a row (or with 1 or 2 songs of interval).

check the songs by 'Journey' and 'The Doors' to see what I'm saying.

And I still prefer the song choices of Pandora, I don't like most of the songs that iTunes Radio gives me.

Comment

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Nice to hear :) Always a bit frustrating that things are available in the US first.

Comment

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I've got some bad experiences with iTunes radio too. Sometimes it decides to play the same song two times in a row (or with 1 or 2 songs of interval).

check the songs by 'Journey' and 'The Doors' to see what I'm saying.

And I still prefer the song choices of Pandora, I don't like most of the songs that iTunes Radio gives me.

I've heard Hot Chip's 'In Our Heads' about eight times over the last three days, and I only use iRadio during a 45 minute commute. I can't work out the rhyme or reason of it. Some tracks will get played on average once an hour, whereas some I've heard only once.

So far my experience is that half the tracks iRadio picks, I already own, making the experience little more interesting than the old Genius mixes. The other half are skewed between tracks I'll hear once and never again, and tracks I'll be seriously sick of come the end of the week.

TBH, I'm kind of underwhelmed. My wife likes Show Tunes, and isn't much happier with it. If I wasn't already subscribed to Match, I'd probably go back to Pandora.

Comment

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
It's pretty good, but some things can be improved. Why the heck did I get some 2012 American pop song randomly in an Armenian playlist, and how come I can't have a "video game music" playlist without it giving me all kinds of stuff? I've also noticed that it sometimes gives me the same song more than once.

Comment

Rico31262

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Was fun in beta

The Canadian iteration of iTR, as approved by their CRTC, (aka Critic) is remarkably easy to use. Once you've heard enough Anne Murray you can switch to the Gordon Lightfoot stream. Then back. Then kick back with some poutine and Molson. Then more Lightfoot.

Comment

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
As above, iTunes Radio works fine in Canada if you create and sign in to a US iTunes account.

And for people whinging about switching accounts, do you buy something every day? Not any trouble at all really.

i dont buy stuff all that often, but i have itunes match setup on my cad account so its a pain going back and fourth. for now i just use itunes radio, but im excited to get commercial free and have access to my itunes match music

Comment

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Who cares, improve iTunes Radio first in the U.S. Apple is a American product.

----------

It's pretty good, but some things can be improved. Why the heck did I get some 2012 American pop song randomly in an Armenian playlist, and how come I can't have a "video game music" playlist without it giving me all kinds of stuff? I've also noticed that it sometimes gives me the same song more than once.

Same here it is funny because I play Dubstep station on iTunes Radio or Trance and I get Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake and songs repeating but what does JT and Britney Spears have to do with Trance and Dubstep? LMAO Apple please no one likes that POP trash music.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.