iTunes Radio streaming

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gixxerfool, Mar 3, 2014.

1. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Hey Guys,

I use a router at work that has a firewall installed. It will allow me to stream Pandora, but it will not allow me to stream iTunes Radio. When I open IR it will keep skipping songs without playing one, but will play the commercials no problem. It works at home and on cellular. Is there anyway to get this to work

Also, I can open the iTunes and App Stores. I can download from the App Store, but not the iTunes store. Is this related to the IR issue and is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance

-GF

2. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

What it means is that the connection for the stream is being blocked. That's why it skips the songs super fast like that. I can encounter the same thing at my work.

There are probably 2 reasons why this is happening for you. Your company/router (IT department or you?) is specifically blocking the port that the Radio part of iTunes is using. They could also know the IP address that Radio contacts and block that.

Your company could also be using a proxy and you need to setup the computer to use that.

Not to clear if you manage your own Internet at work, or if you just have your own access point piggy backing off the main network. Is there another access point on the network you can use? And does this affect both your computer and mobile device?

3. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Sorry. I should have been more clear. It's on my phone only. I don't have a computer at work. It's managed by my IT department. It's an access point set up for customer use, it's the one we are allowed to use as well.

Thanks for your help

4. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Same thing happens to me at work if I'm on the wrong Wi-Fi. One will allow iTunes to get info and stuff, but to actually stream it does not work, so Radio for example will just blow through a bunch of songs as it tries to find one that will play.

You could try asking your IT department if they are specifically blocking services, but me personally, I have never wanted that visibility from people above me :D

Depending on how elaborate your IT departments security and restrictions are it's quite normal for companies to block popular ports or communication protocols in order to keep the network traffic down. For example I can use TeamViewer (a remote desktop program) on my laptop no problem, but all of my mobile devices are blocked. But none of my computers can access TeamViewers website (they do not want you downloading it). Or YouTube on my laptop or desktop works, but is blocked on mobile devices.

5. gixxerfool thread starter macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I really appreciate your time. I updated to 7.1 and now it works. Win/win.