iTunes randomly not updating Lat Played Date & Play Count

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by warthogg, Feb 27, 2008.

1. warthogg macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I posted the below on Apple support and did not find the one macgeek on this planet who at least shares this experience, if he hasn't found the answer yet. Thinking that person might be a member of MacRumors Forums! :)

Since 2 weeks (maybe since iTunes 7.6 update, but I'm not sure), iTunes seems to randomly update the Last Played Date and Play Count when finished playing a song.

Wether the song is played from Party Shuffle or a Playlist does not seem to matter. I was not able to find a criteria for which songs get updated or not. But when I look at the last 5 or 10 played songs in Party Shuffle (the greyed out ones), some of them have been properly stamped with the last played date and play count has been incremented, and others don't.

Another test I did is with a Smart Playlist with only one criteria : 'Play Count is null'. When playing that playlist, some songs are automatically removed from the playlist after being played, others don't.

It is very annoying since it means most of the metadata on the songs is not relevant anymore, and that kind of ruins the whole iTunes Smart Playlists thing.

Anyone having the same problem or an idea of what I could try to solve this?

Thanks a lot in advance.

2. realfx macrumors member

You and me both buddy if I find fixes I will post back,

3. warthogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution found

I found the reason : GimmeSomeTune plugin was causing the problem. I removed it and now iTunes is updating everything properly.

4. jackr macrumors newbie

jackr

That may be your reason, but it's not mine: I never even heard of that!

I get random success/failures for update of both play count and last-played dtm, after playing either on iPhone or iTunes. I did not notice this before the last couple weeks (when I got my iPhone), but possibly that's only because I wasn't paying attention.

We need to report this to Apple as a bug.