iTunes randomly opening

Discussion in 'macOS' started by reebzor, May 20, 2010.

1. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

Sometimes, whether I'm at my computer or not, iTunes will just randomly open. My computer will be asleep and just wake up and open itunes. Or I'll be working on something, just browsing websites, etc and iTunes will just open. I have a pretty big library so it takes a little while for itunes to open and its just plain annoying. How can I stop this from happening? iTunes 9.1.1 on OS X 10.6.3

2. duky macrumors 6502

Is any iPhone/iPod/iPad connected to it at the time? It might be a problem with your USB-to-dock-connector cable causing it to keep disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone. If iTunes Helper is running then it opens iTunes each time the device is connected which may explain what is going on.

3. goblemac macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with no devices connected. quite strange.:confused:

4. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Is all your software up to date ... Even if it isn't still no excuse but curious ... If not maybe that will fix it.

5. reebzor thread starter macrumors 6502a

reebzor

No. My dock is connected but there is nothing in it.

Yes all my software is up to date. This just started happening a few days ago but it has gotten worse. Now iTunes just wont stay closed. Right after I quit it, it reopens. I even deleted the com.apple.itunes.plist and it still doesn't stay closed. I'm about 3 seconds away from removing itunes.

6. duky macrumors 6502

Have you tried following the steps here?
    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-63920.html

i.e. Looking for iTunes dashboard widgets or helper applications that might be opening iTunes

Another option is to reinstall iTunes altogether as you suggest. I know that most people don't have the very latest build of iTunes because it is not in Software Update but only available through the website. See here:

http://i.tuaw.com/2010/05/07/how-to-squash-a-syncing-bug-in-itunes-9-1-1/

Also, I'm assuming you've tried the usual, most basic troubleshooting steps: restarting computer, repairing permissions etc?

Good luck, that issue sounds like a pain. As a temporary solution, why not just keep it open all the time? Does it always become active when you leave it in the background/minimize it?