iTunes Randomly quits

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nar1117, May 29, 2007.

1. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

My iTunes has just started to quit randomly, giving me the "The Application iTunes quit unexpectedly" error message. I am running the most recent OS with the most recent security update on a Macbook Pro 2.16.

The most recent major thing that I have done was delete a very large movie file that left me only 400 something free Mb on my 100 gb HDD. I got a message before restarting that I would have to free some space up on my startup disk. I dont see how this could affect my iTunes, but the problem only started happening after I did this.

The things that have made this happen are:

Double clicking on a song, any song, just after iTunes has been opened.

Viewing the SRS iWOW plugin via Window-->SRS iWOW.

And I was just listening to music when it shut down in the middle of a song.

And sometimes, one or more of the columns that I have to sort my music will translate itself into chinese characters, and I have to open the"get info" window on each song to reset it to regular english. I dont understand.

I have restarted the computer and repaired permissions. There was an error in one of iTunes' permissions, but the problem persisted after the permission had been fixed. If anyone has any ideas on what I could do next, or if they think they know whats going on, please let me know.

Thanks,
    N.

Edit: This is the beginning of the report of the incident after ever time it has happened:

Date/Time: 2007-05-29 11:32:35.217 -0400
    OS Version: 10.4.9 (Build 8P2137)
    Report Version: 4

Command: iTunes
    Path: /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes
    Parent: WindowServer [53]

Version: 7.1.1 (7.1.1)
    Build Version: 3
    Project Name: iTunes
    Source Version: 7110502

PID: 406
    Thread: 5

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x3be0625f

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like iTunes is corrupted, try moving com.apple.iTunes.plist to your desktop and see if that helps.

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Thats weird. Mine randomly starts! :D

I think its a dicky ipod dock connector thats causing it though. :p

4. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does it matter whether I delete it or not? Im assuming this is just to test the problem, so I shouldnt delete it.

Edit: Didnt work. When I restarted my iTunes, I was prompted with the "welcome to iTunes" window which took me through all the steps to configure the basic settings. Then, when I started to play a song, it quit immediately

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

OK replace the preferences file. (don't worry about this step), and redownload iTunes from Apple.com, then try running the installer. If that fails, which I think it probably will, then download Pasifist and use that to install iTunes.

6. Nar1117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok I re-downloaded iTunes and the installer worked, and I seem to be running smoothly now. :D I reparied permissions one last time just to be sure.

Thanks for the help! I will try the third option if I encounter the problem again.

N.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Thats OK :).