iTunes rant

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lorductape, Jan 21, 2008.

1. lorductape macrumors 6502

lorductape

I hate iTunes.

don't get me wrong, I like the convenience of being able to pay .99 cents for a song, with just about every song i could ever want being there. I like the idea of being able to rent movies and watch TV shows and download podcasts.

It's just that iTunes.... sucks.

When the touch firmware update rolls out, I grumble about having to pay $20 for it, then go to help my brother install it on his (I try to install on mine later) on the day of the keynote, first we couldn't find it, then the iTunes store seemed to be down across the board on the windows side. Finally, the next day, it worked.

Now I sit down to finally do it on mine. First I can't do it because I'm trying to purchase the apps on a DIFFERENT COMPUTER from a DIFFERENT TOUCH, but because it's the same account apple won't let me. I try logging into another account of mine, but for some reason, it kept rejecting the credit card. So I tried changing cards, nothing. Finally, at my wits end, I make a new account. "Credit card processing is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

:mad:

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

so it is not iTunes that sucks but the way you have to update your ipod.

3. lorductape thread starter macrumors 6502

lorductape

no, it's their credit card system and the maintenance of the store and just the whole experience sucks

4. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I'm sorry, what you're trying to do makes no sense. You're trying to update your Touch, but you're not doing it on your own Touch but a different one? And iTunes sucks because it can't read your mind and beam the update Star Trek style over to the correct iPod? iTunes is a great app and it does its job beautifully when you use it the way it was meant to be used.

5. lorductape thread starter macrumors 6502

lorductape

apparently you didn't read the post before you went fanboy on me.

I did it a week ago on my brothers touch, it took ages because the iTUnes store insisted it wasn't connected to the internet, while in another window, I was happily surfing. Now, while doing it to mine, the credit cards are simply not working. I tried a few and it finally, 2 accounts and 3 cards later, it worked.

6. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

From what I understand, you are on Windows.

I am on Mac, and had absolutely no problems updating my friends 3 days after the keynote.

7. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Same here.

Updating worked fast and easy. Not that I love to pay $20 for an update, but it was worth it indeed.

8. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

One more reason for the OP to switch to Mac.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I agree iTunes on Windows has issues.
    Buy a Mac. It works flawlessly on OSX.

10. lorductape thread starter macrumors 6502

lorductape

I did the first install, on my brothers touch, on a PC. mine was on a mac, and actually had MORE problems. I love macs, i'm a fanboy myself, jumped to leopard the night of the launch, but i'm sorry, the itunes store has problems.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

The reason it didn't work on the day of the Keynote was because their servers were slammed with everyone trying to update their iPhones. I got the same errors as you did, as did many others. My guesses as to why it gave the error about your internet connection was Apple's servers weren't replying to iTunes, so iTunes thought that you didn't have a connection. That's my best guess. Usually the day of a keynote their update servers are overwhelmed.