iTunes re-launches automatically

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gymnut, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I'm running iTunes 7.6 on a MBP 2.4GHz with 10.5.2 installed. Last night, after having a problem with Compressor not launching(ie it would launch but no window would display), I was forced to take Apple's Compressor Troubleshooting basics and trash Compressor, Qmaster, and Motion. I reinstalled those applications without a hitch and everything is working.

Or so it seems until this morning when I tried to play a song in iTunes. It would hang up briefly, then quit. The subsequent error message was that "...The Problem may have been caused by the FX plug-in." I trashed CoverSutra, thinking that may have been the problem, despite the fact I never used it. I even uninstalled iWOW2 with no results. Trashing the iTunes .plist did yield some positive results as songs would play, but if I tried to quit iTunes, it will automatically relaunch.

After perusing the Apple support discussion, it seems this is a common problem, although many of the reports were from last month. I just find it odd that all of a sudden I'm now encountering these problems. I do have Synergy installed, but I've never had any problems with it before in the past and even with it not running, iTunes still behaves poorly.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Okay I've resolved this. After some research, I've found that the reason why iTunes 7.6 was automatically relaunching itself and crashing was because of SRS iWOW2. Oddly enough, they advertise on their website that the iWOW2 plug-in is compatible with Leopard, although I'm not so sure about that after the 10.5.2 update. I had the 10.5.2 update and iTunes 7.6 w/iWOW2 installed behaving normally until iTunes started acting all funky.

After a clean install and migration back from my Time Machine drive(ugh), the problem still persisted. Even trying to kill iTunes via the Activity Monitor did not work. After perusing the Apple Support Discussion, it was found that the "genredetection" process is the culprit that is causing iTunes to launch uncontrollably. iWOW2 has the capability to automatically adjust its EQ to that of the genre of the music. Because that process was continually running despite all efforts to quit iTunes, it would relaunch iTunes automatically.

I killed the genredetection process and iTunes now quits without springing back to life(very annoying when I want to shutdown or restart because iTunes would cancel the shutdown/restart). I've uninstalled iWOW2 and until there's a fix from SRS, I guess that'll be one less app I'm using via the MacUpdate promo.

Just a heads-up to anyone using iWOW2 w/7.6 and 10.5.2

Edit: Seems even users of iTunes 7.5 have had this problem. I just find it odd that I enjoy over a months worth of use of this plug-in and suddenly it decides to go awry.

3. davrizio macrumors newbie

Thanks Gymnut!

I figured it was another process keeping iTunes open and when I opened Activity Monitor saw that there were 4 instances of genredetection open! It was driving me crazy that I had to kill genredetection to get iTunes to quit.

The wierd thing is that it just started happening out of the blue as well, long after I updated so I didn't know what to suspect...

I as well will nix this Macupdate promo app.

4. Gymnut thread starter macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Glad to hear that you got it resolved. I haven't seen any updates from SRS and it's odd there hasn't been more noise from purchasers of the MacUpdate bundle with this problem with the iWOW plugin. Unless of course a lot of them haven't used it, or this problem is intermittent. It's really a shame that the makers of VolumeLogic have discontinued support because I really liked that iTunes plugin. I thought iWOW would be a substitute, but apparently not.

5. crashlock macrumors member

It's the same problem here too. I have to kill the "genredetection" process so that iTunes can quit.

Why the hell haven't the devs of iWow sorted this out? I love the app, but damn this is annoying.

Please fix this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:(:(

6. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

I know it's been a long time since anyone posted on this thread, but I came across it in a google search. im running iTunes 9.2 on my macbook pro running leopard 10.5.8 and I run into a similar, but not identical problem. My iTunes works fine, but sometimes when I go to exit it will open itself up again, but only once. If I quit the iTunes that opened itself it goes down for good. I too have the SRS plugin.

Since the problem is very random and doesn't happen each time it will be a little before I can tell if it's the same SRS problem/fix, but like Gymnut ive had SRS iwow for a long time. Around a year or more and probably six versions of iTunes later and it's only in the last two months or so that i've noticed a problem. I do not recall if the re-openings started when I downloaded a new version of iTunes, but im going to uninstall it and post in a week or so to let others know what I find.

7. Mickyfin macrumors 6502

Mickyfin

I've recently noticed that my iTunes launches each and every time I connect my Bluetooth headset. Is there a setting to disable this? Sorry for the thread hijack, its kind of related :apple:

8. lpobsession2005 macrumors member

Actually I think have just discovered what causes the problem to happen, and how to fix it (sort of). It seems that every time iTunes relaunches itself, it was when SRS iwow is on and MUSIC IS PLAYING when quit out of. (This isnt to say that every time music is playing when quit it will relaunch, but it looks like every time a relaunch occurs, it was when iTunes was quit out while audio is playing.) If the music is paused or stopped before quitting out of iTunes then there doesnt appear to be a problem. This doesn't fix the fact that it's a strange glitch and should be fixed but at least i know how to prevent it from happening on my machine all the time.