iTunes recognition problem (+ more)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by nwc12345, Jul 4, 2010.

1. nwc12345 macrumors newbie

Hi.

When I connect my iPhone 3G to iTunes it almost always comes up with the set up new iPhone screen. Even when I then try to restore it from a backup it says the backup session has failed and so setting it up as a new iPhone is the only option.

However, this morning I restored my iPhone to its factory settings to try and solve both this problem and the fact that iTunes would not let me install OS 4 (it would download, but then would come up with an error and would not allow me to make the OS change).

Going back to the start of this post, I say 'almost' as once or twice this morning after the factory restore iTunes would recognize my iPhone, however when I tried to add a few TV programs iTunes would say that there were either too many files open (I don't have a clue what that means as it wasn't specific in what it referred to) or that an unknown internal error occurred (on the phone). At the moment I am removing and reinstalling iTunes in the hope that iTunes is the problem, however I have tried this before to no avail.

This problem has been ongoing for some time now, a few months, and I am getting sick and tired of not being able to sync my iPhone with iTunes (fyi: if it is recognized by iTunes, when I click sync or transfer purchases, or try to transfer apps, a message appears saying that all apps (or whatever I'm trying to sync) on the iPhone will be removed, which could erase some of my purchases.

I'm really running out of options, and these problems have stretched me to the point that I'm considering upgrading to the expensive iPhone 4 just to solve them. However I think its a lot of money for a bit of speed and a better camera (none of the other features are particularly useful e.g. Facetime).

Does anyone know how to help?

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Have you tried a restore from DFU mode? (search if you don't know how or what that is, there are some great posts on it)

3. nwc12345 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks ill try that