ITunes Regional Restrictions - STUPID

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tilak.Conrad, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Tilak.Conrad macrumors newbie

While I understand the (possible) need to restrict some content to certain areas - I wonder whether the system implemented is really correct or fair.

My Case.

I'm a British Citizen - have UK bank accounts and Credit Cards. However my job keeps me and my family in Asia.

I have naturally kept my bank informed of my current (non UK) address and that is what is listed as the Billing Address - apart from being the correct thing to do with all the identity theft that is going on - it's stupid not to.

As far as I understand it the first four digits of a credit card number identify the issuing bank & the COUNTRY.

However ITunes UK will not permit me to purchase content and requires me to either put in a false address (which probably won't work as it's not the billing address) or to use third-parties who provide services to circumvent the rules.

It seems crazy that I can vote in a UK Election etc but cannot legally buy Uk content through Apple.

With all the globalisation that is going on - this poliicy to me seems ridiculous and my appeals to ITunes just make it even more frustrating especially as the people I'm talking to are probably sitting in some call centre in India.

I hope someone at Apple can look at this seriously without encouraging people to break the law by turning a blind eye to the Gift Card type of work-arounds that sometimes are scams.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not up to Apple. Call up David Cameron and complain.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't claim to know anything about Apple's reasoning, but I wonder if there might be certain laws restricting what Apple can do